Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

First Trial results

Discussion in 'Obedience' started by Rileys mom, Aug 16, 2014.

1. Rileys mom

Rileys mom Forums Enthusiast

May 6, 2013
    MN
    We had out first trial today. Riley was very calm and well behaved. I mainly kept him in his crate but I did take for several walks outside.

In BN Obedience with got an NQ. He anticipated the recall and got up before I called him. He had pretty decent heeling and I am very happy that he stayed in place in the sit for exam. He also held position during the sit stay while I walked around the ring.

In Novice Rally we Qualified and took 1st with a score of 91! He stopped to scratch so I redid a sign.

I have pics and video but I will post them tomorrow after we do our classes.

2. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    congrats:yes:

Cran recently started anticipating the recall and coming before I called him- so we did lots more stays than recalls.

sounds like you did great for the first time. Cran took 5 tries to finally qualify in BN,

and great job with first place in rally.

can't wait for pix and vids:pop

3. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Wonderful Riley and Riley's Mom! Congratulations!

4. Sullivan

Sullivan Forums Enthusiast

May 29, 2013
    Florida
    WTG Riley and Riley's mom, congratulations!

5. ellenspn

ellenspn Forums Enthusiast

Jul 6, 2014
    Swamps of NE Illinois
  6. 2GoodDogs

2GoodDogs Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    Echo ing the congrats!

7. Rileys mom

May 6, 2013
    MN
    Today we got another NQ in obedience. The judge was wearing a skirt and Riley was very concerned about it. His heeling was terrible and he was barky, he also wouldn't let her touch him for the exam. He did however do well on the sit/stay and waited for the recall. A lot of dogs were leery of the judge today.

Rally we got another Q for out 2nd leg of Novice. Riley was still concerned about the judge, so I am happy we mananged to squeak by with our Q.

I am planning on entering another trial in September.

Once we finish our RN title since we are in Novice A, can we show Novice B or to we have to move to Advanced? It may be awhile before we are ready for Advanced.

I am working on getting some pictures and video uploaded.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  8. Rileys mom

May 6, 2013
    MN
    I think I finally got the photobucket figured out on how to add photo and video. I don't do it often enough, so I have to relearn it every time.

Here are some video and pictures of Riley's Rally trial on Saturday.

Rally Video
    http://vid1366.photobucket.com/albu...allyTrial1stplaceScore9181614_zps9f9205dc.mp4

http://i1366.photobucket.com/albums/r772/s_w01/Rally Trial Aug2014/20140815_194541_zps607573fd.jpg

http://i1366.photobucket.com/albums/r772/s_w01/Rally Trial Aug2014/20140816_133420_zps554365ff.jpg

I am sorry the pictures come up so small.

9. bkzoo

bkzoo Forums Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2014
    Wisconsin
    Great job!

By all means move on to Advanced once you finish Novice A! I was a little hesitant, but Trace just went with the flow - every time I asked more of him he delivered. I have a feeling after watching Riley's desire to please you he'll do the same!

10. Silaria

Silaria Forums Sage

Sep 19, 2008
    Aspinwall, PA
    Congratulations on your two Qs in Rally Novice! Sorry to hear you struggled with the obedience trail but it gives you some ideas on what you need to work on on to help him succeed in the future.

As for staying in Novice B or moving to Advanced, I believe you can stay in Novice for 6 months to a year after you earn your title. I don't have a copy of the rule book on hand to check confirm which it is but I know you can remain in that level.

Something to consider though... many dogs actually do better off leash than on leash for things like Rally. Best you can do it is work on it in practice and see where you are when the next trial comes around.