Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Legg Calve Perthes double FHO

Discussion in 'Diseases & Illnesses' started by little soprano, Aug 24, 2014.

1. little soprano

little soprano Forums Regular

Oct 4, 2013
    Michigan
    So Cosmo started to get lame around April of this year (10 months old), though we could see him start to get to that point around February.

The vet first diagnosed it as "growing pains", which we were certain it wasn't, but we decided to go with it. Two months later we were at an Orthopedic Surgeon who diagnosed it as LCP. The options were either a total hip replacement, which I could not afford at all, or two FHOs. Spaced around 10-12 weeks apart. We ended up going ahead the next week with his first FHO, and he has recovered beautifully from that one.

He is extremely active with just that one being healed despite his other leg still needing help, which you can see when he walks. I have to keep him relatively calm until his second one (end of september was the soonest we could do it-financially), but as that time is approaching, is there anything I should know when it comes to taking care of a dog that has had two FHOs?

We didn't do anything special when it came to the first one (surgeon didn't tell us too, other then that swimming was okay to do). We get him in the pool as often as we can, but it's been a cold summer in Michigan. He's not any supplements, just Evo Red Meat Formula and Stella & Chewy's Duck Duck Goose food wise.

I'm pretty excited for this next FHO, just because seeing Cosmo starting to act like himself again just after one, is incredible... Him attempting to have zoomies (before I can catch him), makes me so happy, but I just want to know what to expect really. He has gained an unbelievable amount of muscle on the operated upon leg, and we are currently in the process of losing some extra weight he has gained since he started hurting (extra spoiling). He's down to 30 pounds, but I'd like to be able to feel his ribs a bit easier and get him as slim as we can.

2. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    It sounds like your Cosmos is healing really well from the first surgery...that is wonderful! Second surgery shouldn't be any different. My Rory had both hips done at just under a year old...he regained almost all of his mobility and went on to live a happy life, pain free. The only limitation he had was that he needed help to make it up a full flight of stairs...a few steps were no problem.

Best wishes for Cosmo's second surgery to be as successful as the first one! And, yes, keeping weight down to a good level is important.

Trini

3. little soprano

little soprano Forums Regular

Oct 4, 2013
    Michigan
    Lol when I move the puppy gate before I go to grab him to bring him up the stairs, most of the time the little bugger runs right up the stairs in front of me XD. He's doing so so soooo well. I'm happy to hear your Rory recovered well from getting both hips done! Our surgeon has been wonderful throughout the whole thing, so I'm hoping this second surgery goes as smoothly as the first does.

Do you think I should be considering any supplements? Or vitamins? He's my first dog, so I'm clueless with this stuff. He's on Evo and Stella & Chewy's right now.

4. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    That is so great that he is doing stairs following the first surgery...means he will probably do them fine even after the second surgery! :)

The surgeon who did Rory's hips never recommend anything beyond a good quality diet. I don't think supplements or vitamins would hurt in moderation, but I honestly doubt they are needed...but I would ask you vet about this and go with his/her recommendation.

Trini