Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

gallery of shetland dogs

Discussion in 'Pedigrees' started by sarasomething, Feb 1, 2012.

1. sarasomething

sarasomething Forums Enthusiast

May 24, 2011
    fl
    http://shetlopedia.com/A_Gallery_of_Shetland_Dogs

i just found this and thought it was so cool. shetlopedia has a gallery of photos (late 1800's to 2010) of dogs that lived/live on the shetland islands.

there was a thread a while back on the history of the breed, so thought some others might find this as interesting as i do :smile2:

2. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    That was really neat. I love seeing the evolution of our breed.

Some of them looked a lot like our shelties of today, and some of them not at all!

3. danisgoat

danisgoat Moderator

Jul 23, 2009
    NJ
    Really neat link. Thanks for sharing with us.

I find the ears on the dogs interesting. The older Shetland Sheepdogs actually have the "hound dog ears" that we tend to brace against for the standard today. Hey...if my rescue, Vinca, was back in the day she might have looked like the standard :lol:

4. sarasomething

May 24, 2011
    fl
    pre-standard description

i like how this one person was trying to describe the dogs to someone who never saw them. the way he describes the dog sounds like the first standard was drafted based on his description (esp. the part about the "collie in miniature".

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  5. OntarioSheltie

OntarioSheltie Forums Celebrity

Apr 29, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Very interesting, thanks for sharing!

I've read that shelties descend from the Greenlandic Yaki. I would LOVE to know what one looked like but have never been able to find a photo of one.

6. sarasomething

May 24, 2011
    fl
    i haven't found a greenlandic yaki, but i saw articles about shelties mentioning being descended from greenlandic and icelandic sheepdogs... found icelandic sheepdogs: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Icelandic_Sheepdog

look at the pick under "history" from 1915.

7. OntarioSheltie

Apr 29, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    As far as I know that's another breed that shelties descended from. I wonder if it this breed that causes the occasional curled tail in shelties...?

8. sarasomething

May 24, 2011
    fl
    and the 1900th century pomeranians. lol. they've got a lot going against them as far as curly tails go

9. OntarioSheltie

Apr 29, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    That's true, I forgot about Poms. :smile2:

10. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    I see many who look just like Annie Laurie -- our little "toonie dog"! :wink2: