Go Back   Sheltie Forums > Sheltie Talk > Sheltie Chat
Become a Premium Member Rules Support Sheltie Nation Member Map

Notices

View First Unread View First Unread  
Old Jun 6, 2014, 10:17 PM

Default She barks to much from unusual noises.

I get up...BArk bark!! door bell goes off..goes bolistic. If some one is walking past the fence, bark bark. Noise down the street, runs out into the back yard at 9 pm bark bark.

Anyway to Desence her barkiness? Its getting a bit anoying!
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 6, 2014, 11:24 PM

Default She barks to much from unusla noises

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dmodeler View Post
I get up...BArk bark!! door bell goes off..goes bolistic. If some one is walking past the fence, bark bark. Noise down the street, runs out into the back yard at 9 pm bark bark.

Anyway to Desence her barkiness? Its getting a bit anoying!
Is this your first sheltie?They are barkers.There is lots of things you can do.Find a good trainer who can work with you on the barking.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 07:15 AM

Sounds like a pretty typical sheltie!

You can work on the barking and make some difference, but in general shelties are barkers...this is part of the breed and their alertness and barking to warn of anything unusual was treasured.

The most effective method I have found with my dogs is to be on the alert and catch whatever the upcoming noise distraction will be BEFORE they start to bark. Have treats in multiple places (including your pockets) so you are never far from a treat jar and the minute you see a potential barking issue, have your dog sit or down, calmly command "quiet" and reward for good behavior. Make the treats small so you can feed/praise the entire time a biker or runner is going past...mine are all ultra food oriented and given the choice they will always take treats over barking every time. When you praise keep your voice low and calm...a high pitched voice or yelling only up the excitement/concern...it tells them there really is something to be upset about and makes the barking worse. Over time, the sounds and movements that they saw as a concern to warn about become less of a concern as they learn to associate these happenings with good things ... and giving out treats can be done randomly rather than every time.

There are many methods of dealing with barking which I am sure others will share, but this is the one I have found to be the most successful for my own dogs.

Trini
Old Jun 7, 2014, 09:16 AM

Default Barking?

I suppose barking at every little thing would be annoying, we don't have that problem.

I must relate something that happened many years ago.

We had a Rat Terrier that was very intelligent, told us when to turn the thermostat up in winter. He barked at most unusual noises. Carried on one night to the annoying level. I quieted him somewhat but he was nervous even in the morning when the sun came up. I walked around the yard to see if anything was out of kilter. Someone had stolen the entire propane set-up from the back of the house.

Before we got Chip our dog was "Jaime's Sweet Bessie" a Rough Collie. Bessie barked at everything unusual such as a strange person or animal on the street, Deer eating from the bird feeders, skunks, raccoons, or opossum in the yard, and even an uninvited human, you get the idea.

We wouldn't have traded those alerts for anything in the world. Listen to what they are telling you. The ice maker in the fridge door or vacuum sweeper may be irritating to their sensitive ears.

Sorry for the inconvenience of an alert dog companion. We learned to live with it and tried to always understand WHY?
Old Jun 7, 2014, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferg View Post
I suppose barking at every little thing would be annoying, we don't have that problem.

I must relate something that happened many years ago.

We had a Rat Terrier that was very intelligent, told us when to turn the thermostat up in winter. He barked at most unusual noises. Carried on one night to the annoying level. I quieted him somewhat but he was nervous even in the morning when the sun came up. I walked around the yard to see if anything was out of kilter. Someone had stolen the entire propane set-up from the back of the house.

Before we got Chip our dog was "Jaime's Sweet Bessie" a Rough Collie. Bessie barked at everything unusual such as a strange person or animal on the street, Deer eating from the bird feeders, skunks, raccoons, or opossum in the yard, and even an uninvited human, you get the idea.

We wouldn't have traded those alerts for anything in the world. Listen to what they are telling you. The ice maker in the fridge door or vacuum sweeper may be irritating to their sensitive ears.

Sorry for the inconvenience of an alert dog companion. We learned to live with it and tried to always understand WHY?
Good point. Cody always went nuts when the phone rang. Just by accident, someone lowered the ringer volume. The barking almost totally stopped! He would still bark, but it was only once or twice, and eventually, he ignored it.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 04:56 PM

You want some barking? Last evening I was sitting in the backyard w/our two shelties when a strange yorkie appeared in the next door neighbor's yard, she doesn't have a dog. Forrest almost had a stroke! He was running along the fence, barking to high heaven, while the yorkie casually ran around, mostly peeing on the neighbor's flowers

I went over & got him (put Forrest inside 1st) and he peed all over MY flowers! Little rascal, turns out he lives down the street & got out. But my goodness, the barking was insane, and Forrest is still ticked off today, he keeps smelling the grass where Snickers peed and looking upset. They are barkers, I try to remember 'bark bark means I love you Mom' but sometimes it's tough & I yell 'shut up' which doesn't do much. We've never tried too hard to quell the barkiness, we're right on the border of Detroit & home break-in's a very common around here. A barking dog is one of the best deterrents so Shelties should be among the best breed for that
Old Jun 9, 2014, 07:42 PM

Shelby is the queen of barking. Especially when there are kids outside playing, cars driving by, anyone walking down the street etc. we had to put shutters on our windows because she would sit by the window barking at everything. She would get her head around he curtains so that didn't work. Now it isn't as bad

Just now the neighbors were outside playing baseball with their kids and of couse Shelby had to pee. So I had lots of treats to try and keep her from barking at them. Helped a little. Fortunately our neighbors don't mind her barking, or at least they tell me they don't.

I usually try not to let her outside when I know there is something that will make her bark. And if need be it take her for a walk to do her business if I can't let her outside.