Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Baby puppy exercises...

Discussion in 'Sheltie Training' started by 2GoodDogs, Aug 27, 2014.

1. 2GoodDogs

2GoodDogs Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    We started our first lessons. Name recognition is strong and he's making eye contact (cookie zen) Recalls are becoming fast and furious, and are always fun. Anything picked up or carried in the mouth (even if it is my shoe) gets admiration and praise, and I'll trade if it is something he shouldn't have.

Agility coach met him last night and gave us these exercises to work on:

nose touch the target, starting in hand and down to the floor.
    wobble board with nose touch to target.
    spin, twist, fold back down

It only takes a few minutes (I set my timer for 3 minutes and do as much as we can for a portion of his meal, 2x a day)

Mostly, what I want is to teach him I'm energetic, interesting, rewarding and FUN!

He was a great little visitor to Uncle's agility class last night!

2. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Wonderful! Heading into obedience -- we have done a couple of those (target, watch). Our agility training involves standing on the back of the couch (loose pillows), running through the tunnel of our coffee table, weaving between a rake and a shovel standing against the wall, and running up and down stairs as fast as we can.

Cubby is a natural.

3. Judyg

Judyg Premium Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Riverside, Ca.
    We can't figure out that pesky leash! she does not like it at all just now. We will keep on trying though.

4. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Cubby cannot stand the leash on the collar, he goes insane. Harness just happy. He must want to be skydiver. This will thrill my dog school. They don't like to use harnesses and I understand fully about that. I will just have to train him up so he does not pull so we can use a harness.

5. Judyg

Judyg Premium Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Riverside, Ca.
    Maybe I'll get out the harness and try that.

6. 2GoodDogs

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    Judy, take a string leash, lightweight and short and let her drag it around a bit. When she is used to that, you can hold the other end and encourage her to follow you, I used my voice and a toy, and he quickly figured it out.

7. Judyg

Judyg Premium Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Riverside, Ca.
    I need to find a really short and light one. The local stores don't have one

8. 2GoodDogs

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    I used a long shoestring on Bobby.

9. Judyg

Judyg Premium Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Riverside, Ca.
    I bought a kids tunnel and Lacey loves it. She and my grand daughter play with it a lot. Lacey took right to going to through it. This little girl has no fear.

10. bkzoo

bkzoo Forums Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2014
    Wisconsin
    We have a kids tunnel also - brought it out last week. Baker wasn't interested until he saw that I had placed Toby as "bait" at the other end!