Go Back   Sheltie Forums > Health > Behavior
Become a Premium Member Rules Support Sheltie Nation Member Map

Notices

View First Unread View First Unread  
Old May 9, 2014, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmasmom View Post
Hope it wasn't too bad last night. I am blessed - mine will give a bark and then ignore the thunder.

When I was a kid, our neighbour's dog used to run away from them and come to our house during storms. They always knew where to find Trixie.
That's a great story....love it! Trixie must have felt "safe" at your place.
Old May 9, 2014, 09:41 PM

Honey has no fear of storms, she just wants to do battle with them! If it's during the day she barks at me until I let her outside to bark and snap at all the rain and scare it away (right up until she realizes just how wet she's getting, which takes roughly two laps of the yard) Than she's inside and demanding to be toweled off.

At night she whines at me for a few minutes to go out, but settles back down if I pull her up by my head and wrap my arms around her.

Has anyone tried playing classical music for the dogs?
Old May 10, 2014, 09:10 PM

p.s. Thunderstorms last night, and put the Thundershirt on Indy.....he settled like a charm. Just lay down and chilled.

Storms didn't bother puppy Callan at all. Hopefully, it will stay that way.
Bacca - My Eeyore (Rainbow Bridge Feb 2014)
Old May 11, 2014, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mally's Mom View Post
That's a great story....love it! Trixie must have felt "safe" at your place.
We could never get kids or animals to leave. The funny thing - we lived in the country. Trixie had to go down their lane (at least 1/8 mile) come up the road (at least 3/4 mile) and up our lane (1/8 mile). We would get a call - is Trixie there?
Aberdale's Unforgettable CGN NTD (Natalie)
Old May 11, 2014, 08:43 PM

Well . . . I cannot report whether the Composure treats worked or not . . . the storms did not materialize the other night (and I slept soundly )

With the forecast of storms moving in again tonight, I gave them all another Composure treat tonight. (Why do the storms always move through the night before I have to go to work the next day?)

I think my dogs reaction to storms at night is exacerbated because I have a skylight in the vanity area between my bedroom and the master bath. Jonesie Dream will hear the first drop of rain to hit the skylight, stare up at it for a second . . . then run to my bed and stare at the skylight . .
Landree - Sheltie Angel
Old May 13, 2014, 09:19 AM

We had a huge storm in the area last night, Honey dealt very well with it, although the tornado sirens got her more riled up than normal. The heavy rain started right before her last bathroom break of the night, we tried going in the front but lightening flashed and she gave up all pretense of being brave against the storm, went inside and she curled up on my pillows above my head!

...which of course meant I was up at 3 in the morning once the rain finally stopped so she could get some relief. Oh well, I fully prefer her waking me up to her having an accident.
Old May 13, 2014, 09:48 AM

We had lots of thunder here last night. Miss Hanna wanted to go outside to investigate. What did startle her is when my power went out a few times and the stupid smoke alarm beeped spoke "push test button."

Mom to Hanna ( smerle born June 3, 2013)
Old May 13, 2014, 10:48 AM

We had a long night of high winds and rain. Lightning and thunder here and there. I think Missy actually did better than me. I am very paranoid about tornados so I can't sleep through weather like that. Missy didn't seem bothered at all. I tried to remain calm so I wouldn't make her think there was something to be worried about. Of course, she's never had issues with thunderstorms as long as she's inside. She's not a fan of being outside when it thunders. I don't blame her, I don't either.

We both survived the night. I am very tired. Now I'm singing my rainy day song, "Rain rain, go away, my little Sheltie wants to play."