Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Healthy Snacks for Everyone

Discussion in 'Treats & Supplements' started by JacqueZ, Aug 27, 2014.

1. Jess041

Jess041 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    My Sheltie Angel, Jasmine, LOVED apples. I would always share a bite or two (without the skin). She would also eat bananas. Just like the carrot, Missy wasn't impressed with apples or bananas. I definitely eat more fruit than I do veggies, but so far Missy hasn't been interested. Her loss!

2. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Forums Sage

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    My dogs have always loved any fruit and veggie (except ones I know are not good for them). My Noah used to stand beside Mom if she was getting something out of the freezer or making a salad. If I want piece when I'm cutting up veggies, the dogs have to go outside.

Our collie cross we had when I was a child used to dig up her own carrots out of the garden. My vet is aware the dogs gets fruits and veggies and sees nothing wrong with that. If I feed them good stuff, then I am more apt to eat it myself.

3. Watson's Mom

Watson's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Mar 24, 2012
    I'm the weirdo that brings cut up carrots, cucumbers, and green beans to class as training treats. No one ever tried to get into our stuff. Watson would murder ME if I made a salad and he didn't get some veggies or the berries from my yogurt!

4. Judyg

Judyg Premium Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Riverside, Ca.
    Lacey's breeder told us to give her apples and carrots for teething and snacks. She loves them.

5. Greenepony

Greenepony Forums Enthusiast

Jul 2, 2012
    Olive gets veggies far more than fruit since fruit is higher in sugar and therefore calorie- and she needs to slim down from her allergy meds.
    DH and I mostly follow a plant based diet because of food sensitivities I have so there are always plenty of veggies around. Olive gets green beans for half her meals but will get bits of my lunch since I usually have salads or will hover during snacks since we go through hummus like crazy with carrots and cucumbers. She actually likes curly kale, unlike DH insists on any other variety.

6. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    Shelby loves any fruit or veggie. She always "helps" cook dinner because she knows there will always be some veggies for her. We had to stop growing grape tomatoes because she was constantly in the garden picking her own to eat.

When I am harvesting the garden I must keep the basket out of her reach. She will sneak up and help herself to whatever she wants. Earlier this year she took and entire head of romaine lettuce out of the basket and was laying in the shade munching away!

I too am one of the crazy people, I take cut up carrots along when we visit at the nursing home. The residents even ask me now if I have any carrots for her.

7. Sullivan

Sullivan Forums Enthusiast

May 29, 2013
    Florida
    I've shared a couple of times the salad I would make for Bambi. She loved good, cold green peppers, carrots, jarred Green Giant Mushrooms, zero calories and vet approved, also in the isle when you buy foil packed tuna fish, they also have chicken, beef, turkey. I would buy those and put just a few pieces, I can't remember but I think they had too much salt content. I would take maybe 2 pieces and shred it and make it look like she was getting more. Bananas were another biggy. She also loved those little round ritz crackers (about the size of a quarter) with peanut butter or cheese. Popcorn. Like many of you, she got some people food, but not lots, but like any other dog, if it was "people food", she thought she had to have it!

8. jomuir

jomuir Forums Enthusiast

May 10, 2011
    My guys love apples, pineapple, bananas, and green beans. They help themselves to green beans in the garden; when I go to pick some for dinner when the plants are producing, I have two very impatient 'helpers' underfoot! One for me, two for them, on & on. They get frozen organic green beans in their dinners every night, have to hand feed them a couple while I fill their bowls or they get unruly. Carrots get taken but generally spit out with a side of stinkeye.

I like to take plain yogurt, mix in a can of crushed or chunk pineapple, freeze in ice cube trays, and they go crazy for their doggie ice cream.

DH has been eating nuts instead of chips/crackers at night, now they're very keen for pecans & walnuts :winkgrin:. Haven't made dehydrated sweet potato chips in a while, they go nuts over those too. They REALLY like sweet potato in any form! DH knows when they've had them too but we'll leave that part for later lol. :hide

9. Margi

Margi Premium Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    My guys also love all veggies. Great diet food!

For their main healthy snack I slice up sweet potatoes and dehydrate in the oven (I gotta get a dehydrator--it takes all day to do it right in the oven), and I make them Pumpkin-Peanut Butter cookies using the recipe below (just in case anyone else has the time to bake for their dogs from scratch :smile2:)
    except I grind up oats in the blender and use oat flour instead of wheat...

http://heatherhomemade.com/2012/07/pumpkin-peanut-butter-dog-treats/

10. JacqueZ

JacqueZ Forums Enthusiast

Oct 4, 2012
    Akron, Ohio
    Oh, I love the idea of making those cookies, they sound super simple. And adding pineapple to the frozen yogurt is a great idea.

I'm getting a lot of good ideas on what I can feed the both of us on this thread, I'm pretty cautious about what people foods I'll give Honey...for instance, I don't know why, but I never thought of letting her try green peppers, and I use those all the time!