Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Black parents producing brown puppies

Discussion in 'Sheltie Colors' started by ashriver12, Nov 17, 2013.

1. ashriver12

ashriver12 Forums Novice

Nov 17, 2013
    Virginia
    Everything I thought I knew about sheltie colors and genetics has been thrown out the window!
    How is it possible for two black Shelties (bi black male and tried female) to produce what looks like a sable puppy?!
    The puppy does not appear to be "liver" colored.

Should the dog with the responsible gene be fixed? I do not want unacceptable colors. Only standard.

2. Mignarda

Mignarda Forums Enthusiast

Jan 17, 2013
    Dover, Delaware
    I believe I read somewhere that there's a relatively rare, recessive gene that in the homozygous state produces a liver-colored Sheltie. You may have simply had the luck of getting a male and female both of which carried that gene. Is the nose brown, or chocolate? If so, I'd think that's what you've got, and you wouldn't want to breed either dog, since both carry the gene. (My off-the-cuff opinion only!)

3. ClantyreSheltie

ClantyreSheltie Forums Sage

Feb 24, 2010
    Baltimore
    Both black genes are recessive to sable, so it is not possible for black dogs to produce sable. Either something else bred the bitch, or you have a different color gene at work.

4. rose

rose Forums Enthusiast

Nov 30, 2011
    washington
    do you any pics?
    would be interesting to see

5. JessicaR

JessicaR Forums Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2008
    Tiffin Ohio
    According to Sheltie Talk there are cases of recessive sables and dominant blacks. Also (which is most likely) again in Sheltie Talk) A dog occasionally will appear to be tri, but is really a sable with excessive black

6. ClantyreSheltie

Feb 24, 2010
    Baltimore
    What year was Sheltie talk published?

I think it's very likely that it was published prior to our understanding of color genetics, especially genes outside the Agouti series and how they interact.

Dominant black (the K series) is set in Shelties to resessive k/k. We don't have K (solid) or kbr (brindle) in Shelties anymore. Since you don't accidentally get a dominant gene from a pool of only recessive genes, if a "sheltie" carries dominant black or brindle, it's a mix.

As to tris really looking like sables, I've only seen this in shelters, where they don't have a good grasp of colors (and why should they?) and they call a shaded sable a "tri-color". But anyone breeding a dog should be able to tell what color is it.

Pictures are always a good thing.

7. JessicaR

JessicaR Forums Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2008
    Tiffin Ohio
    It was in the 1985 revised book. I don't know if that is still something that is accurate today, but I put it out there as that is what the book said.

I would also like to see pictures to see if the tri female is really a tri. I know people think Dusty is a tri, he is a sable, but he is really dark. So maybe that is the case here, just mistaken color identity.

8. Mignarda

Jan 17, 2013
    Dover, Delaware
  9. ClantyreSheltie

Feb 24, 2010
    Baltimore
    But again, Shelties are pretty much set B/B. So if someone is claiming a b/b brown Sheltie, I want photos, a 3 generation pedigree, and a DNA parentage test.

10. Mignarda

Jan 17, 2013
    Dover, Delaware
    Yes, it would be fairly rare to get two B/bs in a mating pair. The bad thing is, if a dog has got that recessive, there's really no way to tell, and you could be spreading the darned thing around without knowing it.