Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Tri Color question

Discussion in 'Sheltie Colors' started by coopersmom, May 13, 2014.

1. coopersmom

coopersmom Forums Enthusiast

Dec 28, 2008
    Kentucky
    Hello,

My little tri boy is 13 months old. The top layer of his coat is beginning to grow out and is red on the ends. He's my first tri, just wondering if that is normal coloring? When I think of tri's I think of solid black coat with the tan patches. The red coloring is very pretty, just wondering if he will keep it on the ends. His mother is a blue merle and his daddy is a tri, both very beautiful I might add.

Kim & Casey

2. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Maybe rusting from the sun. Using Ice on Ice seemed to help though what ever the groomer uses now seems to have made it a non-issue. Of course we also have red clay soooooo...

3. MorningBrew

MorningBrew Forums Regular

May 12, 2014
    New York
    I think I've come across this before in my research.

http://sheltieforums.com/showthread.php?t=778
    an older thread about sun bleaching

I can't put links to certain sites but i've seen pics of black coats or black spots turning a rusty red color from sun exposure on breeder websites so it does happen.

I don't know if this is the sort of "red" you are talking about but I hope this helps!

4. Jess041

Jess041 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    My dog's coat will get a reddish tint if she's outside a lot. She was actually outside most of the day Sunday and I noticed it looked a little rusty. I got a trial size kit of Chris Christensen's Black on Black and I've given her a bath with it a couple times. It actually did make quite a difference. The kit also has a little bottle of Ice on Ice and that does a good job protecting the coat from the sun, if you remember to spray it on :biggrin2:. From what I understand, some dogs have coats that genetically have reddish undertones that really come out in the sun.

5. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    I've heard it could be either exposure to the sun or genetics. From what other people have posted, some dogs have a predisposition to the red tint, and some do not.

6. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Forums Sage

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    Two years, Liam and Natalie had a real red tint to their fur. They spent almost all day outside with Dad. Last year, they were in because I was working and Dad is no longer with us. They had hardly any reddish colouring.

7. coopersmom

coopersmom Forums Enthusiast

Dec 28, 2008
    Kentucky
    Thanks everyone. It is a rust color, not a problem for me. I think it's cute. Probably from the sun, although he's in & out during the day.

My sweet boy.

8. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    Shelby is a bi-black. Mom is a tri and dad is a blue Merle. I notice that her fur also gets a rust color to it in the summer. I figured it was from the sun or just genetic.