Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Should I get another Sheltie?

Discussion in 'Considering a Sheltie?' started by Sheltie.Mama, Dec 25, 2013.

1. Sheltie.Mama

Sheltie.Mama Forums Enthusiast

Dec 25, 2013
    Montana
    So, I have one sheltie, one German shepherd, and three cats. We didn't used to have the German shepherd but he was an old dog and was going to get out down so naturally, we took him.. Anyways, two of the cats are old and so is the German shepherd (if it matters) But, I would love another beautiful little Sheltie for mine to play with. Should I get another? Or do I have too many animals?:eek:

2. Laddie's Mom

Laddie's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Jul 3, 2013
    N/A
    I would go for it, as long as it is not too hyper for the older dog. Sometimes, "new blood" can perk up the other animal. So, yes, go for it, and good luck.:biggrin2:

3. Tabitha

Tabitha Forums Enthusiast

Apr 5, 2013
    Lubbock, Texas
    I have 5 dogs and they get along fairly well, my two boys argue but nothing really bad. I love having so many dogs, if I could I'd have up to 10 (but I'm crazy). But I have to many dogs. The city law here is 4 animals per household, I didn't know this before getting my 5th dog. As a result, one of my dogs will be living with a friend until I can move.:cry: I'm completely heart broken, my dogs miss each other, and everyone is going through so much stress and heartache.

So with that said I think that if your up to having that many animals (financaly and time wise), it complies with the city laws, and your current animals get along with your future sheltie, then I say go for it.:yes:

4. Sheltiemama

Sheltiemama Forums Enthusiast

Feb 15, 2012
    Indiana
    As long as you can afford it and there is no law about how many you can have where you live, why not?

As my seniors age, I can sure feel it in the wallet. They are costly. But each of them gets the best care I can provide.

5. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    I think when you have a senior doggie that adding a younger dog or puppy can be both a plus and a minus. Senior dogs, like many senior people, may enjoy having a young one around for limited time...but they also need to have extended quiet time for themselves without pestering. It is important for an older dog to have a comfortable space he/she can retreat to...gated off if need be...so that he can have quiet time if/when he wants it. Otherwise it can be unfair to the senior doggie.

And, as other have mentioned...you need to know your area's laws on number of pets and also be ready for the added expense of another dog. I have found that as my doggies age the vet bills can be huge...many thousands a year...to give them the best chance for extended quality of life. And there is no quarantee that the new doggie you get may not have health issues that require extra vet expense. Your available time is also an issue...every pet needs some one on one time daily without the others being involved...their "special" time.

So, lots to consider beyong just the enjoyment of getting another doggie. Whatever you do decide...best wishes. :)

Trini

6. Mignarda

Mignarda Forums Enthusiast

Jan 17, 2013
    Dover, Delaware
    If you're a patient, responsible, emotionally mature adult who has experience with dogs in general and Shelties in particular, it shouldn't be a problem.

7. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

It is a personal choice. You have to ask yourself over and over....why another pet? What need would be satisfied by bringing in another?

I'm going through it myself debating whether to take on a rescue dog. My heart says yes, but head says maybe...and my partner says definitely no! LOL! (fortunately we live in different houses, so he has limited say|! LOL!)

Do a lot of soul searching as to your motivations, as I am doing myself.

For myself, I have a sick dog that may or may not live, I work with a lot of rescues and am constantly bombarded with the driving need to take one on, and I always wanted a small lap dog too......But I have a summer island cottage property that makes transporting animals every weekend a pain. So I have to be pragmatic too.

Its not easy. So generally, I've been saying maybe before I say yes, and rethinking the "why" over and over and over again! But I am close to a yes....

8. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    If you have comfortable dynamics, you may not want to upset the applecart. OR if the older dog just stays home and sleeps and the other is on the go with you and appears lonely, then why not? In any case, it WILL change everything.

I have a 3-year-old shepherd and brought in this 5-6 year old rescue sheltie. We love her, she loves us, but it definitely took some from my shepherd and he knows it. She bosses him and he knows it. She get things that he doesn't like trips out or training classes and he stays home with the husband. If she were taken in the rapture, he would be happy and I wouldn't replace her. I won't get rid of her as she is a very good dog and adores us and we adore her, but it DID make the shepherd feel slighted. It changed everything and I am not sure getting her was the wisest move, though everything is relatively calm and settled except for from time to time. But I did save a life in need through rescue and that is also a good thing.

9. Justicemom

Justicemom Forums Celebrity

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    Like others have said if it is for you and you can give it the time and resources it deserves fine. But if is just for the other dog to play with you may want to rethink it. My older 2 dogs do not like my younger one that much. They play with each other but only a little bit with him. Remember it will be your dog not your dogs dog.

10. Laddie's Mom

Laddie's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Jul 3, 2013
    N/A
    I know I have posted a response earlier, but, I need to add something.

Having another Sheltie is awesome, but, I have found out, at least in my case, that Laddie, my first Sheltie, is now not that much of a companion to me. We were really starting to get close due to the obedience classes, etc, but now since the arrival of Bella, he ignores me at times, I sort of miss our "times" together, so, I am now going to work on spending quality time with him alone.

Having two can be great, but make sure you will have time for that "quality" bonding time. I know I have learned my lesson.