Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Spruce (aka Leo), starter agility fun practice

Discussion in 'Agility' started by Toffee's Mom, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Jess041

Jess041 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    Ohh so that's the trick to weight loss.. :lol:.

I love Spruce's enthusiasm! He looks great! How long have y'all been doing agility? I don't recall you saying y'all were doing classes.

2. Justicemom

Justicemom Forums Celebrity

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    Irene has only had Spruce since Feb. Doesn't he look like he has lived there all his life.:smile2:

3. Jess041

Jess041 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    Yes that was another thing I was thinking. What a great match! He seems to fit right into the family!

4. seashel

seashel Forums Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2010
    Kent, UK
    He's looking great, really focussed and keen. :smile2: I just have to say again what a handsome looking boy he is too <swoon>!!

Interesting about the toy as I did pretty much the same with Epic - masses of toy rewards to start with. I ran him yesterday for the first time without me carrying his frisbee and he was just as keen and of course got it at the end of the run. As Justicemom has said, after a while the reward is as much in doing the course as the toy because they soon love agility for its own sake and the toy is just a well done at the end rather than motivation.

Yep I've had to take up running too! :lol:

It's interesting to see how similar Birch and Spruce's style of running/jumping is too. They're both so confident and keen as well and Spruce wasn't bothered at all by the flappy chute. Look forward to plenty more videos :biggrin2:

5. Justicemom

Justicemom Forums Celebrity

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    I should mention Spruce never did agility here except a tippy board here or there. He was a conformation dog. He did know some basic obedience, recall heel, sit and of course he was socialized to the max, but that was about it. Irene has really brought out Spruces' natural ability.:smile2:

6. Toffee's Mom

Toffee's Mom Forums Sage

Aug 31, 2009
    Nova Scotia, Canada

awww Thanks Guys!!
    No agility classes, I have concentrated on just having a good time instead, lol

We did take a starter life skill class, for bonding purposes back in March. I am a firm believer in taking classes with each new (to me) dog, there is a lot of new things one can always learn from great instructors! Plus it's a good experience for the dog to get used to that type of environment.
    I did take him along to a couple of fun matches with Toffee and some weekly agility practices outdoors if I get any in. I make it a point to try and do a jump or two with Spruce then, too.

However, yesterday was our first semi sequenced run
    especially happy I could send him into the chute and hold the other end, LOL

7. Toffee's Mom

Toffee's Mom Forums Sage

Aug 31, 2009
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    uhoh.. I never seen him heel, LOL
    I didn't know, lolllll

8. Hurtseverywhere

Hurtseverywhere Forums Enthusiast

Sep 22, 2010
    London Ont
    He looks good for a big guy just starting out, Looks like he's catching on pretty quick, before you know it you will be out running 2 dogs.