Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

It's official, Miko is deaf or going deaf

Discussion in 'Senior Sheltie Health' started by k9kreationz, Mar 27, 2012.

1. k9kreationz

k9kreationz Forums Celebrity

Oct 24, 2008
    I'm so sad, but I kinda figured. I assumed he was going deaf or ignoring us and with his deep sleeping and not waking up even when Koji is barking....it just proves my point.

How should I adjust for this? I try to tap the ground so he feels me when I need to wake him up, versus touching him. He gets so startled I feel bad. I surely wouldn't want to be woken up like that.

Is there anything I should watch out for, or do?

I guess him wandering off off-lead and not coming when called makes more sense now. Sigh. My poor baby.

We'll find out tonight or tomorrow if his urine/blood work has changed (for his kidney failure). Let's cross our fingers for stable.

2. Lahree

Lahree Forums Enthusiast

Dec 15, 2008
    North Texas
    I am so sorry for you. When my senior Sheltie went deaf, I would thump the ground next to him to wake him up. As you noted, touching them to wake them up scares them. I also had to learn to wave my arms to get his attention when he was outside and then I could make big hand gestures to ask him to come in. He was happily deaf for about 4 years. He adjusted and I adjusted, but it is a loss that you must grieve.

3. Meldor

Meldor Forums Enthusiast

Aug 15, 2011
    Ottawa
    I am so sorry Cheryl. It's so tough to see them grow old and loose certain abilities.

My family's beagle was also happily deaf for a little more than 4 years. I would wake her up either by gently stroking her or tapping softly on the ground. Even though at first she would be startled once in a while, she got used to it. Other than that it didn't change much in her routine. Sometimes we had to go in a spot where she could see us in the backyard because she could no longer hear our stop-your-beagle-howling-and-come-back-in-the-house calls. She did still seam to hear a clap in our hands when we were closer... maybe the vibration or something about it?

You'll be surprised at how quickly they adapt. Kelly started to rely more on looking at our faces to know what was going on and responded faster to hand signals.

I'll keep your Miko in my thoughts for some stable results for his urine/blood work.

4. k9kreationz

Oct 24, 2008
    Thanks. It is weird that some days it's like he hears just fine and others, not so much. We think he's using his age to his advantage. Like, when he doesn't want to head away from the house, he walks REAL slow. Oh, but going back home, he's bouncing along. yup, what a ruse.

But seriously, I'll be sure he sees me more. At least he's still good with his hand signals for sit and come (when i say good, I mean he comes/sits when he wants, but knows what I'm asking for).

5. k9kreationz

Oct 24, 2008
    I'm assuming he's already adapting, because the only reason I suspected it was his not waking up and ignoring me. lol. He usually is very responsive. On the upside, when I taught him obedience, we used hand signals, so a lot of what I do/did with him all his life was hand signals. And for the most part, he's such a good boy, I don't need to say much to him anyways.

Although, today kinda freaked me out. I got home from the vet and had to go to the bathroom. Miko followed me. As I was, um, busy, I told him to go get some water, he needs it. He turned around and left. And not too long after, I saw him drinking water. Maybe he can read my mind. ;)

6. MavRyder

MavRyder Forums Enthusiast

May 17, 2010
    SD
    Sorry to hear that.
    My Chow mix went deaf at 15 years of age. I use to hold a small piece of cracker near her nose to wake her up. It would never startle her.

7. k9kreationz

Oct 24, 2008
    I was thinking I could try that, and then I realized, if I did that, Koji stepping on him to get to the food would wake him up anyways and then for sure he'd be PO'd. hehehe. But, maybe I can wake him up by touching his nose with something soft. That way, he wakes up, but isn't startled awake. Hmmm...

8. dawns2shelties

dawns2shelties Forums Sage

Sorry to hear the little guy is losing his hearing. Sending prayers his tests come back good.

9. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    I know you both will manage just fine -- it'll just take a little time. :yes:

10. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    I know it is sad when they start showing their age. Hollie lost her hearing when she got old and would be very startled if touched when sleeping some times snaping at you. We would gently blow in her face to wake her up and that seemed to work well. We also used hand signals for basic commands. One benefit was that she wasn't sound reactive anymore.

I would always be concerned when she didn't hear us come home and would not be at the door to great us. But we would always find her sleeping under our bed!

I think you will both adapt well.