Go Back   Sheltie Forums > Sheltie Talk > Sheltie Chat
Become a Premium Member Rules Support Sheltie Nation Member Map

Notices

View First Unread View First Unread  
Old Feb 26, 2014, 10:55 AM

I may be the only member of SN who's 2 legged kids were the instigators and the 4 legged kid was the innocent bystander. As I mentioned on another thread, my policy was no dogs on the beds (and very little access to other furniture). Anyway, my previous Sheltie had two doggy beds, but preferred to sleep on the floor near my bed (even though one doggy bed was in the same bedroom).

When the oldest daughter was born, he moved to sleeping in her room until the next daughter was born. Yep, you guessed it, he moved to sleeping in that room. He grasped the concept of no dogs on the beds, but it was a constant battle keeping the 2 legged babies from dragging him into the beds with them. Of course, he really didn't protest much.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 11:34 AM

We've had 4 shelties in the past none of whom slept on our bed. That rule seems to be broken with Hanna (thanks to hubby) but oddly enough, I think she would be just as happy on the floor in the bedroom. She curls up at the bottom near our feet and only moves up after we wake up. Our bed is also quite tall and there is no way she can get up on it unassisted. We have carpet in the bedroom and I'm afraid that if we left her uncrated she might decided to not wait for one of to take her out. She has been trained for months now but I'm still not willing to risk it.

Mom to Hanna ( smerle born June 3, 2013)
Old Feb 26, 2014, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheltie4 View Post
I have a high 4 poster bed. Only one of my dogs, Jonesie Dream, can jump high enough to get into bed with me (so, OK, I let one dog sleep in my bed, but she stays at my feet).

When I bought a new mattress and box spring 2 years ago, the sales lady tried to tell me that I didn't need a box spring . . . I responded that I needed it for the height more than the support
You mean not every sheltie owner has a foot stool strategically placed by the bed so that getting into the bed is easier? This may spark a protest.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissyGallant View Post
You mean not every sheltie owner has a foot stool strategically placed by the bed so that getting into the bed is easier? This may spark a protest.
Honey learned to cry when she needs up. In her "old age (she's ten), my fiance carries her up the steps at night (a promise he made to her when she was really sick before her 10 birthday) and then puts her in bed. She'll jump out of bed if she decides she wants a drink. Then she'll cry for someone to pick her up and put her back on My dogs aren't spoiled... They're just lucky their crying bothers me. Oh, and she can go up steps and jump on the bed by herself.. but...who's going to complain if someone is willing to help
Old Feb 26, 2014, 05:02 PM

Casey is unable to jump onto the bed when DH is in the room. He gets up just fine if it's just me, or if no one else is looking. DH is in the room, and it's all clicky clickly tappy of the claws until DH puts him on the bed. I'm guilty of putting him up there too. But I've seen him do it, he is capable.

Tara uses the step stool, but doesn't need it.

Annabelle and Clara need it. They are munchkins (like their human).