Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

How important is pedigree for a performance prospect?

Discussion in 'Pedigrees' started by 2GoodDogs, Feb 25, 2014.

1. 2GoodDogs

2GoodDogs Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    It is time to start looking, so that I can be 2 Good Dogs again. Instead of having just one. (RIP Bobby, 1-15-05 to 3-31-13)

I want good structure so the body won't take un-necessary pounding in our chosen activities: agility, herding, obedience ...

and a super temperament ...

and a dog that's nice to look at is desireable!

So where do I start, looking for performance titles on champions?

2. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Remember to consider not only physical structure but mental drive (but not so much you can't live with the dog).

I would probably start looking at working titles on the pedigrees and also the progeny. I would pay attention to ages too -- do they burn out early or work great for a long period of time? Health certifications by the breeder on parents and other progeny as well.

Example, I know of an aussie breeder who boasts of x# of past puppies in the show ring, therapy, agility, obedience, service dogs, herding. That suggests well rounded dogs mentally as well as physically healthy.

Kind of a simple answer. I am sure there is much more to it.

3. ClantyreSheltie

ClantyreSheltie Forums Sage

Feb 24, 2010
    Baltimore
    I don't actually care about pedigree for performance. My latest dog has a completely non-performance pedigree, yet he is very capable and quick to learn. People that breed reasonable, sound, happy dogs produce good working dogs. Lack of titles doesn't scare me.

4. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    I am not sure pedigree is the right word. It's more like physical and mental soundness of a given breeder's lines. You can have no performance titles by the parents but progeny who have proven mental and physical soundness with longevity in a variety of activities.

5. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    I agree with Cara--it isn't titles in the pedigree that I look for. It's soundness, temperament, biddability and structure. Yes, these often all come under the umbrella of a "performance breeder" or "performance pedigree" but it's not the only place to find it, just as you'll find "performance breeders" that don't understand what it takes to make a great performance dog.

I think it's the breeder's mentality and approach that make all the difference. It's attention to pedigrees and breeding for a will to work (whether it's in the show ring, at home, or in agility arena).

6. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    well, I like looking at pedigrees but to be honest, 3 out of my 5 shelties have been from relatively new breeders. Cranberry and Dixie have competed in agility, rally, obedience and have gotten their CGC and herding instinct certificates. A herding instructor told my friend when Cranberry was a puppy that he had a lot of natural instinct.
    Jocu is my only sheltie from a longtime conformation breeder- he likes sheep and will hopefully get his herding instinct soon. he's doing well with his other training too:yes:
    Destin is still in the early stages- he starts class in a couple weeks.......

7. Lightplum

Lightplum Forums Sage

Jan 4, 2009
    Rhode Island
    BAM! That is exactly it. Now a days people have to choose for the most part. Do they want to focus on conformation, agility, herding, etc? There is only soo much time in a weekend and so much money to go around.:wink2: Just because a dog does not have certain titles in a pedigree does not mean its incapable of doing it.

8. Justicemom

Justicemom Forums Celebrity

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    Yes Rachel has a couple young puppy girls(Adele and Bree) with excellent conformation pedigrees packed with CH and ROMs that I would steal ANY day and do any performance sport there is(seriously if one day Adele comes up missing Rachel better check my house). I would need to look but I don't recall any performance titles in there. However, both are outgoing, confident, playful, well socialized and structural well put together.

Adele is training for agility and obedience as well as doing conformation. I don't know if Bree will. She also has Birchs' sister Ash who is just as capable as Birch but who will likely not get performance titles. It is hard to do everything with more than 2 dogs at a time-time and money wise and for Rachel that is Grizz and Adele right now.

9. labgirl

labgirl Forums Sage

Feb 22, 2009
    Suffolk, UK
    Over here you don't really find Sheltie breeders who breed for performance, they are almost all show. So I chose a good quality show breeder who I liked and crossed my fingers:fl

10. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Same here, breeders don't breed for performance (although many will advertise 'good for obedience or agility' with no real reasoning behind it).

That said, I was on a wait list for Tully and got bumped up the list when Tully was born as the breeder could tell she was an extremely high drive puppy and needed to go to an active home. I had said I wanted a dog for agility so got her ahead of others. Neither of Tully's parents were high drive or had done any sports and the rest of Tully's litter went to conformation homes (one also did agility but Tully was way ahead of him until she hurt her hip). It gave me confidence that an experienced breeder probably has the best eye for what pup's have the drive for certain sports.