Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Do Shelties Need to Eat Evey Day?

Discussion in 'General Health' started by Fasb's Owner, May 10, 2014.

1. Sheltiesr2cute

Sheltiesr2cute Forums Regular

Jan 19, 2011
    Ontario Canada
    Of the four dogs we have, Bristol is the only one that doesn't always eat what he is given. Sometimes he only eats 1/2 his morning meal, and occasionally only 1/2 his evening meal. He was vet checked and found to be in perfect health, and was told that for some dogs this is normal. He always takes treats no matter what. Now I have noticed that he usually doesn't finish his meals when I make bacon and eggs for breakfast or spaghetti for supper. And those are his favorites so I believe all he is doing is saving room for the good stuff:smile2:

Becky Mom of Bristol, Charlotte, Phoenix, and Sparkie

2. Sheltiemama

Sheltiemama Forums Enthusiast

Feb 15, 2012
    Indiana
    I would back way off the treats and people food. Try giving him a couple Cheerios for treats. They're like 1 calorie so you can do that several times a day if needed. I wouldn't be concerned about calories nearly as much as him getting the proper nutrients.

3. Fasb's Owner

Fasb's Owner Forums Enthusiast

Jan 21, 2013
    Morgantown, WV
    Haven't had any trouble with Fasb since last weekend, but he wouldn't eat this morning. He's been eating 2 meals a day very enthusiastically the past seven days or so, but he only nibbled a bit this morning. Ddn't have much interest. I offered him a treat after we walked, but he left that too.

He did get sick this morning, so that probably explains it. Didn't barf up food or anything like that. Spit up a bit of bright yellow phlegm in two spots. Did that early last week and got sick (threw up what was in his stomach) last weekend. It's not that unusual for Fasb to get sick a couple times over a week or two. And the yellow phlegm is usually a sign that he's been gnawing on the grass again and swallowed something that upsets his stomach. So it's not panic time yet. Getting sick doesn't usually suppress his appetite though. A little worried. Vet says to wait till at least tomorrow before we get too concerned. This could partly be an adjustment to new chow too, so....

He seems fine otherwise. Doesn't give any other sign of pain or discomfort. Don't wan to assume that's the case, though, given how well dogs hide pain.

Hoping this just turns out to be stomach upset from grass. We know he's been knowing on the grass again, so that part isn't all that alarming. Still a little odd, but given his age, a lot of things are changing. What used to be the norm isn't quite the norm any more.

Weighed him this morning. 30-31 lbs, so he hasn't lost any weight. He's big boy.

How long should it take him to adjust to new chow? Does that cause stomach upset?

4. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Do you use probiotics? They sure help my Shay with little barfs and tummy growls. Maybe talk to your vet about adding. It also helps during food transitions.

5. Fasb's Owner

Jan 21, 2013
    Morgantown, WV
    We've never needed probiotics, so no. Stomach problems - mostly from eating grass, we think - have never stopped Fasb from eating. There have been a number of times over the years we thought his stomach wouldn't be ready for food. He once got sick while eating, paused long enough to throw up, then finished his bowl.

I'll check into probiotics. Thanks for the suggestion.

Wife thinks Fasb was showing a few signs of being sick this morning, but mostly seemed like his normal self. By lunch, he was taking treats and his pill (Cosequin). Hopefully, he has his appetite back tonight. I'm not ruling out there being some problem the vet hasn't caught, but I'm more inclined to think it's more age-related changes (ie, the beginning of slow decline).

6. Fasb's Owner

Jan 21, 2013
    Morgantown, WV
    Fasb ate well tonight. Think his stomach was bothering him this morning (also had a little diarrhea). Seems perfectly normal since lunch time.

7. Fasb's Owner

Jan 21, 2013
    Morgantown, WV
    Appetite is normal, but he's still having stomach issues. That isn't that unusual for him, but I'm still not sure what to make of it. This stuff usually resolves itself pretty quickly, but I'm wondering if it could be his food or what.

I hate to change his food (back to the old diet?). He wasn't really wanting to eat that, going on seven months now (he did eat, just with a lot of cajoling. Hardly ever didn't finish his bowl). He's enthusiastic about the new chow. He's eating his regular dry food fine, so I've been giving him that, with just a bit of the new dry kibble mixed in (to use up the bag. He seems like he can stay on the old kibble). Having been trying some new wet foods in smallish amounts to flavor the dry and entice him, though.

Given his age, I'm a little concerned about liver failure, though the recent tests apparently didn't indicate that. His appetite has been very good since I changed foods. He comes running when he thinks I'm getting the bowl ready and has eaten well, aside from Monday morning. Kinda think it's something else, not liver disease. He's had periods like this before, where he gets sick a couple times over a week or a couple weeks, then seems to clear his stomach and is fine for four or six months or whatever. I think I'm worrying more because of his age.

I feel like the issue started before I changed foods, so I doubt that's it. There shouldn't be anything dicey about the new wet food/brands, so maybe I should keep him on it and, if it is the food, he'll adjust soon enough....?

Other than an unsettled tummy, he seems mostly normal. Stomach upset generally doesn't seem to be affecting his demeanor or habits. If he feels poorly, I can't tell it.

Last edited: May 21, 2014
  8. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Try the probiotics. It may help settle it down. My dogs don't eat a meal without a probiotic in it.

9. Sandi'sMom

Sandi'sMom Forums Enthusiast

Aug 24, 2008
    Central Ohio
    It sounds like you might spoil him with the treats giving too much of them. My 2 previous Shelties lost appetite because they were sick. The luckier one made till 10 years old.
    Sandi is 3 years old and we feed her 2 times a day. The vet clinic told me not to cut to once a day because too long breaks without food would give her stomach acids.

I don't know what kind of food you give to him, but may I suggest to buy a couple of can of brand Wellness. Sandi's fav. is chicken and duck stew , or chicken stew. Try to give him some new food he had never eaten before . Wellness cans are not cheap, but the good quality food. It's possible that in addition to him getting too many treats he is tired of his same old food. Try something new and see if he starts eating better. And cut back on treats. He is probably not that hungry after the treats.

10. Fasb's Owner

Jan 21, 2013
    Morgantown, WV
    So he's eaten fine the past few weeks. One morning earlier in the week, he needed some coaxing to eat. He's had a little stomach upset. Might be related to the new food, but it seems like his stomach might have been bothering him the weekend he wouldn't eat - which is why we changed food in the first place. Fewer issues since early in the week. We switched him back to his old dry food and are giving him mostly the old moist food he's used too - mixing in a little bit of new canned food to try and get him used to it bit by bit (if that is what's causing his stomach issues).

What we've discovered the past few weeks, by trial and error:

-- He doesn't really want to eat dry food without something mixed in to flavor it. Moist food, broth, something. Eats dry a lot better if we mix something with it.

-- He seems to prefer other additives to his usual brand of canned food (Natural Balance). He is eating the NB better than he was, though.

-- He prefers fresh canned food to frozen. That is, he prefers Natural Balance or whatever we offer him when the can is freshly opened. Problem is, I only give him a small amount, then reseal the can and put it in the refrigerator until the next meal. Even buying the smallest can they sell, it'd take several meals to use it all. As it is, I usually switch out the can before it's anywhere near empty so it's not open too long for him. I don't really want to get into the expense of opening a fresh can every day so he can eat less than 1/5 of it before I toss it. Maybe need to find him something that doesn't need stored/refrigerated?

I may end up switching him to a canned or raw diet, but, for now, I'd prefer to keep him eating dry food with something mixed in and just reduce the amounts so the total calories work out right. I'm thinking of getting him on a mostly dry breakfast routine, and give him something more flavorful for dinner - either moist/raw food, or some dry kibble flavored with something he's not getting in the morning.

Ideas?