Go Back   Sheltie Forums > Health > Sheltie Training
Become a Premium Member Rules Support Sheltie Nation Member Map

Notices

View First Unread View First Unread  
Old Apr 19, 2012, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheltieChe View Post
If the judge was wearing a live squirrel on his shoulder I bet EVERY tired and too hot too something dog will be running at full speed on that agility field
Oh, I would pay big bucks to be a spectator at *that* agility trial!!!
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 19, 2012, 05:06 PM

Both my boys used to love to tug when they were 1-2 years old. Neither one is interested anymore. They used to play tug with each other, which was super-cute to watch.

But Bacca is just not interested in toys at all anymore. Indy doesn't actually play with his toys, he just hauls them out of the basket one by one.

I'm desperately trying to find something to challenge him, but he just goes about life, Eeeyore, dum-de-dum-de-dum! La, la, la!

I fear that I've raised a couple of super lazy Shelties. I know better, so now I must DO better!
Bacca - My Eeyore (Rainbow Bridge Feb 2014)
Old Jun 15, 2012, 01:26 PM

I do tug, here's a good explanation of why I tug with my dogs:
http://www.leecharleskelley.com/serv...ytugofwar.html

Shiri, my princess Sheltie (singleton puppy, very standoffish dog all her life) would never, ever tug with me. I spent endless amounts of time trying to tempt her to tug, trick her into tugging, and nothing. She would give me this incredibly disdainful look like 'omg, I can't believe I even know you' -- the kind of look I gave my parents when I was a teenager, you know?

Then I adopted the Border Collie, and he is a tug monster, which is great. One morning shortly after he arrived, I came out of the shower to hear him growling and another *unfamiliar* growl answering him; went into the dining room to see the BC and SHIRI PLAYING TUG! Even though they were using one of my socks, I was so happy to see the princess playing tug that I didn't even care.

She still won't tug with me. No idea what's up with that.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connie View Post
Shiri, my princess Sheltie (singleton puppy, very standoffish dog all her life) would never, ever tug with me. I spent endless amounts of time trying to tempt her to tug, trick her into tugging, and nothing. She would give me this incredibly disdainful look like 'omg, I can't believe I even know you' -- the kind of look I gave my parents when I was a teenager, you know?

Then I adopted the Border Collie, and he is a tug monster, which is great. One morning shortly after he arrived, I came out of the shower to hear him growling and another *unfamiliar* growl answering him; went into the dining room to see the BC and SHIRI PLAYING TUG! Even though they were using one of my socks, I was so happy to see the princess playing tug that I didn't even care.

She still won't tug with me. No idea what's up with that.
My dog Bentley (curiously, also a singleton) doesn't really tug either. He does tug on rare occasions with Lexi (my pup who loves to tug) and I also don't intervene even if they have a sock!

I can really push him to tug by getting him really riled up, but it's not quite the emotion that I'm going for so I've sort of given up on that.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbinam View Post
My dog Bentley (curiously, also a singleton) doesn't really tug either. He does tug on rare occasions with Lexi (my pup who loves to tug) and I also don't intervene even if they have a sock!

I can really push him to tug by getting him really riled up, but it's not quite the emotion that I'm going for so I've sort of given up on that.
obviously not now since Bentley is on house arrest but why would not you push mister B? Riled up as in arousal?
Old Jun 15, 2012, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheltieChe View Post
obviously not now since Bentley is on house arrest but why would not you push mister B? Riled up as in arousal?
It's hard to explain--he just doesn't seem to "get it" or enjoy it. It's almost like he's lost his focus completely, as opposed to Lexi who is tugging and engaged. Almost like he doesn't know what he's doing--he's just doing it.