Go Back   Sheltie Forums > Health > Diseases & Illnesses
Become a Premium Member Rules Support Sheltie Nation Member Map

Notices

View First Unread View First Unread  
Old Mar 4, 2014, 08:48 AM

Since I'm also recovering from surgery, I am in complete sympathy with Tully. Poor baby, I know she really isn't trying to drive you nuts -- but she is! You're an amazing Sheltie Mom, Caro!!!
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 4, 2014, 09:22 AM

Caro...it WILL get better. The first couple of weeks are really tough, but all of a sudden it turns around and then progress is much faster. It is a really painful surgery and right about now I am sure the surtures are itchy something awful. I remember feeling like a zombie from lack of sleep following Rory's hip surgery...but once you get past the worst it is so worth all the effort to see them run and play without pain.

Hugs to grumpy Tully. :) And hope you can get some real sleep soon...Tully is very blessed to have such a loving, dedicated Mom!!

Trini
Old Mar 4, 2014, 10:29 AM

The un-cone looks good on her and like it might keep her toasty laying down. She does look a bit like she is thinking of how to retaliate later though
Old Mar 4, 2014, 10:51 AM

We got 3 rescue shelties years ago & they were so badly matted that we had to shave them. They looked like foxes with the hairy face & bushy tail. Eventually it grew out but they were funny looking. When our sheltie, Jack, had his FHO surgery he was shaved on 1 side too. The hair grew back really fast & you can't tell.

I hope Tully continues to do well. It seems slow going but one day it surprises you & they get back moving.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 06:51 PM

The time will go by quickly, one day Tully will reward your love by chasing down the wind.

She looks so lion like with her cone of shame. She has the courage and so do you.

Good job Mama.

Hugs,
Kate
Famous Seamus - Sable Daddy's # 1 Boy RB 2011
Old Mar 5, 2014, 09:14 AM

It will get better and become a thing of the past soon. Give yourself a hug from all of us for your dedication to making Tully well. We are all thinking of you and that cute little bundle of fur.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 09:48 PM

We turned a corner today, Tully actually walked on her leg for about 3mins. I stopped at a church-yard near the vet to give Deska a wander and Tully decided she wanted to walk too - previously she was just doing the 3-legged hop. I put her back in the x-pen when we got home and now she's sulking. If she's like this after a 10 days how grumpy will she be after 3 mths in there.

The rest of us aren't doing as well. I am absolutely exhausted - way too many sleepless nights. Tully has pulled most of her sutures out. She worked out how to wriggle out of her baby onesie to get to them overnight so I keep waking to check it's still on. If I put on the 'cloak' cone it crinkles all night and keeps us all awake. Then there's Deska's barking - storms at night and a hot air balloon regatta in the mornings. Poor Deska is getting bored too (so much for friends helping out with walking him). The cats come home on Tuesday so that will make things interesting.

Btw - I always thought a sable should be sable at the roots, but Tully's fur is growing out all black.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 08:33 AM

What a good news, bad news update, Caro! Great news that Tully took some steps, but poor you (and Deska) trying to keep Tully in line. I don't have any suggestions about her stitches other than perhaps using a different soft cone. Can you get one there? There are a number of varieties now that don't make noise or bother the dog quite as much. Perhaps something like this?
http://www.amazon.com/KONG-Cloud-E-C...ollar+for+dogs

This is the one that I have.
http://www.amazon.com/ElizaSoft-Reco...ollar+for+dogs

At this point you have to do whatever you can to make life easier for you and Tully. At least you're seeing improvement! I hope you can all get some rest too. Thinking about you and sending good thoughts!
Old Mar 8, 2014, 10:46 AM

Good update for Tully...not so good for you and lack of sleep. Hopefully the worst is over and each night will get better and better.

Trini
Old Mar 8, 2014, 08:30 PM

Ann, would you believe I've got both those collars. The recovery collar is the one I have that makes noises all night, I think it's because its so long on Tully she can't actually stand in it (had to be that long to cover her butt area) so when she moves around she gets caught up. I brought a Kong Cloud but it's too big and she gets it off, the next size down is the cat version - not designed for long noses. Hopefully we'll only have another week or so of an itchy scar.