Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

One of those 'What have I done?' moments

Discussion in 'Agility' started by labgirl, Mar 8, 2014.

1. labgirl

labgirl Forums Sage

Feb 22, 2009
    Suffolk, UK
    My friends and I have gone a bit agility mad, so when we saw this competition almost on our doorsteps we thought we would have to give it a go. I just received my entry form and now I am wondering what I have done:eek2:

First, I've received a commentary card on which I have to write something interesting about Merlin, because they are going to talk about us while we run! Argh! Then I realised the show is part of a Game and Country Fair (I thought it was separate) and so we are going to have the general public watching us too!

To top it off all my classes have only a single class between them, so its - run, watch a class, run, watch a class, run, etc, etc. As there are only between 7 and 9 dogs in each class (except for large where I get a breather of 27), I am going to be running virtually on top of myself!

Oh well, no doubt we will have fun. I'm mainly doing this for the experience, and it will be that! I haven't told my friends all this yet as they might not come!

2. Sharon

Sharon Forums Sage

Feb 27, 2008
    Southeastern Ct
    What have I done

Sounds like alot of fun.But don't you have the general public watching you at a regular trial?You will have a good time.:smile2:

3. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Portable oxygen maybe? Best wishes and have fun. Don't let the nerves take over!

4. labgirl

labgirl Forums Sage

Feb 22, 2009
    Suffolk, UK
    Thank you. The comps I have done so far, only the other dog handlers have been watching. I haven't done any big shows yet. I'm looking forward to it, just mustn't let Merlin or myself get overwhelmed.

I'll try not to let 'em. If I can just keep my focus we will do alright.

I've been watching Crufts all weekend, so I am all fired up:yes:

5. dmeyer123

dmeyer123 Forums Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2011
    Eastvale, CA
    Sounds like fun! Put on a show....you can do it!!!

6. labgirl

labgirl Forums Sage

Feb 22, 2009
    Suffolk, UK
  7. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Forums Sage

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    Go out and have fun. It's one thing doing it in front of a bunch dog people, another totally in front of people there for a fair.

8. labgirl

labgirl Forums Sage

Feb 22, 2009
    Suffolk, UK
    Exactly. I think I am most concerned for my friend, as her dog is either marvellous or insane, and the audience might not help.

9. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    I bet it will be a lot of fun. And one thing with the general public...they will probably love everything you do, no matter whether it is perfect or not.

Years ago I had 2 of my shelties entered in agility at the annual Scottish Games at a local fair. My Stormie was only 9 months old at the time and a total clown who performed perfectly some days and did absolutely nothing right other days. Well...on fair day I swear he did literally everything wrong and the more mistakes he made the more the crowd loved him and cheered for him. LOL He was so bad that day that I suspect they thought it was an "comedy act"...but Stormie had a wonderful time and I still laugh at the memories.

So, just relax and have a good time, no matter how it goes! :)

Trini

10. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    I'm with Trini - Ally has always provided the entertainment for the agility demos we do at retirement/nursing homes. OMG she just picks and chooses what she'll do, la-de-dah take my time, oh let's go around that one cuz I don't feel like it today.... and then a big bounce straight up in the air when she's done. I was always kinda embarrassed but the crowd always LOVED her and she got a big round of applause. :rolleyes2:

Just go enjoy, you'll be fine!