Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Edan not eating... sort of

Discussion in 'General Health' started by Silaria, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Herd4fun

Herd4fun Forums Enthusiast

Feb 26, 2010
    New York(Not the city)
    I'm at a loss then, other than trying Halo and get the food mushy using chicken broth I'm not sure what else you could do to make it enticing.

2. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    If it was yellow, then yes it was bile from an empty stomach.

You mentioned that Edan also had loose stool from plain chicken and rice. Bailey also had this problem. Could he be allergic to chicken or rice??? Did TOTW also have chicken in it? I started feeding Bailey California Natural Lamb and Rice. I had a gut feeling she was allergic to chicken. And it worked! She did have loose stool for a day or two during the transition, but hasn't had a problem since. If I was you, I would look for food that has no chicken or rice (if u suspect it might be that).

Good luck and I hope Edan feels better and starts eating soon.

3. Silaria

Silaria Forums Sage

Sep 19, 2008
    Aspinwall, PA
    Chris, what you mentioned (the bolded part) is what I'm afraid happened with the Eagle Pack. He's been eating that for nearly 3 years with no problem. About a month ago he started vomiting once a week then twice a day the weekend of the 20th while mixing Eagle Pack and TOTW.

I really wonder if, in his mind, both the TOTW and the Eagle Pack (aka "the food" he received when he got sick) are responsible for his feeling yucky.

I'm looking at other foods that are as good as Taste of the Wild (grain free) but have only one or two protein sources. Thanks for the suggestion though.

4. SheltieChe

SheltieChe Forums Sage

Jan 6, 2010
    Chicago
    how about getting off the kibble whatsoever? My dog will do anything for his chicken neck.... or try try ground turkey, preferably organic or free range, ground beef etc... mix it up with sweet potato, rolled oats... or feed him straight meat for couple of days... he is clearly rejecting his kibble

I am not sure if you are on Vibrant pet or similar supplement but VP has some digestive enzymes as well as probiotic that will settle sensitive stomach issues, we use similar formulas on humans...

5. Silaria

Silaria Forums Sage

Sep 19, 2008
    Aspinwall, PA
    Yes, it was yellow.

Edan's been on the Eagle Pack Holistic Chicken and Rice formula for nearly three years. I've used chicken as a high value reward in agility training. We've also given him rice cooked in chicken broth prior to this for stomach issues.

Is it possible to suddenly develop an allergy to an ingredient that quickly?

Yes, the TOTW has chicken in it... as the 4th ingredient (bison, venison, lamb, chicken). The vet seemed to think the 4 proteins were just too much for him to handle, especially since he has a history of sensitive stomach issues from when he was roughly 1 year old.

I chalked the loose stool, which resulted in 1 round of explosive diarrhea (sorry if that's TMI), to the overall issues and the loose stool the next few days to his system just being such a mess from too much gas and stomach acid. This was the first and only time he ever had such a reaction to a chicken and rice mixture. (I'll find out if that statement is true when I get home since that's what we fed him this morning.)

I'll mention it to his vet when I talk to her, but I'm not 100% convinced I'm dealing with a chicken allergy.

6. Silaria

Silaria Forums Sage

Sep 19, 2008
    Aspinwall, PA
    It's an option but I'd rather not start him on a diet of "people food" if I can avoid it. I don't have any way to store enough food in the house to accommodate something like that... and if I was going to go that route, I'd look into RAW.

No he's not. I've consider it but never purchased it because, until recently, he was fed via his toys to slow down his eating and VP wouldn't really work well with that feeding method.

(Before someone suggests it may be the speed of his eating, Edan's eating uncharacteristically slow, even from a "go slow" bowl.)

7. Herd4fun

Feb 26, 2010
    New York(Not the city)
  8. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    I think it can develop suddenly. Bailey was just fine eating wellness puppy food and then 2 months later, out of no where, she started getting very bad diarrhea.

Source: http://www.petnutritioninfo.com/allergies.htm

Source: http://naturalmedicine.suite101.com/article.cfm/food_allergies_in_dogs

9. Herd4fun

Feb 26, 2010
    New York(Not the city)
    Which is exactly why I cycle through different foods for my dog on average every 6 months or so. Its a pain to transition but at least this way I know that he is highly unlikely to develop a food allergy and that if any one dog food is somehow missing an important ingredient or something is out of wack(accidently or otherwise) The next food fixes it. so far I've been on:
    Blue Buff, TOTW, Nutro Ultra, Orijen

10. Silaria

Silaria Forums Sage

Sep 19, 2008
    Aspinwall, PA