Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

New Oral Flea med

Discussion in 'Drugs & Medications' started by Sheltiemama, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Sheltiemama

Sheltiemama Forums Enthusiast

Feb 15, 2012
    Indiana
    My vet tells me that they will be getting a new oral flea med within a month or so. This one is supposed to be good for 3 months. I don't know the name of it.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

I told him I was NOT willing to try it until some of his other patients had tried it and found that it was ok.

2. Bradt9881

Bradt9881 Forums Enthusiast

Jan 15, 2014
    Fayetteville, NC
  3. The Quahog

The Quahog Forums Enthusiast

Dec 1, 2009
    Rhode island
    We have a poster on our bulletin board in the waiting room detailing 28 flea meds and their indications. Frankly, its getting as little ridiculous.
    And, not to sound like Seinfeld, but what's with the name of these drugs of late?
    Bravecto? really?
    We have Convenia (its convenient), and Cerenia (its serene), and my favorite, Vetmedin (its a veterinary medicine).
    They just ain't even trying any more. Frankly, for us old school types where medicine was above marketing, ('Ask your doctor if Glarbargle is right for you.' You know what, your doctor has heard of Glarbargle, The salesman bought him lunch to tell him about it. If it was right for you he would have mentioned it, you don't need to ask him, ) this choosing names to appeal to the 'consumer' is just embarrassing.

As to the poster's question, i have to worry about anything that lasts 3 months. Remember Proheart 6? If your dog has a bad reaction to it, and its gonna be in his system for 3 months and you cant get it out, my spider sense as an old warhorse says 'pass'.

EJHUNTL and JacqueZ like this.
  4. Mignarda

Mignarda Forums Enthusiast

Jan 17, 2013
    Dover, Delaware
    My favorite is Valtrex. Makes genital herpes sound positively appealing!

5. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Try being a medical transcriptionist -- I have to learn to spell them, learn to identify them when the doctors pronounce and mis-pronounce them, AND know the common doses to "double check" the doctor and/or understand the doctor as they rattle off the dosing when a lot of numerals sound quite alike when spoken. Nowadays it is even worse with the flood of generics with pretty much unpronounceable names.

Yes, I know Brad . . . Dr. Shelli . . . Dr. Mac . . . etc. You have to learn much more about the drugs, but at least you got lunch!

Just give me Advantix II and Heartgard and send me packing.

JacqueZ likes this.
  6. ClantyreSheltie

ClantyreSheltie Forums Sage

Feb 24, 2010
    Baltimore
    Spidey sense is always good.

My first question when someone asks about a flea med is "do you actually need it?" Because I found that discontinuing the flea meds made no difference in the lack of fleas on my dogs. I haven't used a topical in several years. The last dog that got it only got it because he was hyper allergic to any insect bite. He's apparently outgrown that.

I also really firmly believe in evolution, and the overuse of these topicals are just going to make resistant bugs that require even more toxic things to kill them. How many of us laugh at Frontline now because it doesn't work? Evolution in action!

7. JLSOhio51

JLSOhio51 Forums Enthusiast

Mar 16, 2013
    Ohio
    I guess I've never given much thought to drug names (either "cutsie OR "provocative", human OR animal. Perhaps because I understand the importance of capturing the attention of the target market vs. the slim profit margin on many products AND the benefits of market share %'s. I'ts a "dog eat dog" business". (SORRY - could not help myself!).

I think Dr. Mac got it right - What's your vet say? Do you trust him/her? What did YOUR research tell you? SIMPLE: Make a choice - trust your decision - laugh at the "stupid" drug names.

8. Bradt9881

Bradt9881 Forums Enthusiast

Jan 15, 2014
    Fayetteville, NC
    It worries me that the clinical study had small Ns, or in plain English, not very many dogs in the study. I worry that giving it to my dog along with the thousands of new patients will be the real test. I prefer to wait until it's been out at least a year before using a new product unless there is a compelling reason to use it sooner.

9. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Phen Phen and thalidomide come to mind -- neither myself/my family nor my dogs will be pharmaceutical guinea pigs.

10. The Quahog

The Quahog Forums Enthusiast

Dec 1, 2009
    Rhode island
    I'm with you.
    We never aim to be 'cutting edge', unless its a problem we have no good solution for and the preliminaries are outstanding. (We eagerly await the availability of Apoquel, for example.)

Anyone want to buy some vaccine, like FIV,FIP, Giardia, or porphyromonas?
    Well you can't from me, sorry, never used them.
    They are collector's items, as they didn't work (to protect myself, I'll say they didn't work 'well'), and got discontinued, (I think all these were,) though a lot of veterinarians made a lot of money using them.