Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Trialing outside in the rain

Discussion in 'Agility' started by Sharon, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Sharon

Sharon Forums Sage

Feb 27, 2008
    Southeastern Ct
    My friend just and told me she was at a trial in Mass. and it's is pouring (sun shining here in Ct.) and that her dog was injured in the rain.Is a Q that important that you need to run in the rain?I had another friend that posted on FB that she was on her way to Mass,for the same trial and she said it was monsoons and she turned around and came back home.::no:

2. Mally's Mom

Mally's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Oct 18, 2009
    Illinois
    Sorry I can not answer your question about a Q.

I am, though, sending out healing prayers for your friend's injured dog.

Please let us know how the dog is doing. Thank you.

3. Jess041

Jess041 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    Nope.. I don't do agility, but last spring we had a flyball practice after it had rained earlier that week, and I slipped and fell on my behind. Plus after having dogs and handlers running around all over the course, the grass will get torn up and then you'll have mud, which is also slippery.

4. Tabitha

Tabitha Forums Enthusiast

Apr 5, 2013
    Lubbock, Texas
    No. To me TEN Q's are not worth ANY dog getting injured.:no:

Edit: Light rain is OK, but not heavy.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  5. melbell

melbell Forums Enthusiast

Feb 4, 2013
    Erie, Pennyslvania
    I've done Agility in the rain numerous times. That being said, they only do it if it's safe and everything is level. Hope the injured doggy heals quickly and the storms slow down.

6. labgirl

labgirl Forums Sage

Feb 22, 2009
    Suffolk, UK
    I suppose it depends how heavy it was. A real downpour, no. But in moderate rain yes I have run. It rains 80% of the time here anyway so not much option. Hope the dog is ok.

7. labgirl

labgirl Forums Sage

Feb 22, 2009
    Suffolk, UK
    I should add we have cancelled displays at the last minute due to heavy rain, I think the biggest danger is wet grass.

8. JLSOhio51

JLSOhio51 Forums Enthusiast

Mar 16, 2013
    Ohio
    Since I am not yet a devotee of Agility, my input here is one of those "grain of salt" type issues. But, that said, my opinion is that there are two levels of consideration for determining how safe it is to continue with any type of competition. One level is the level applied by the sanctioning organization, which I assume takes into consideration not only the health of the participants (2 and 4 legged), but also the liability of the organization. Level two (for me) is the standard applied by the pet owner which (again for me) should only take into consideration the health of the participants. In my pea brained way of looking at life, #2 trumps #1.

9. Toffee's Mom

Toffee's Mom Forums Sage

Aug 31, 2009
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    If I train in the rain, I run in the rain.
    I obviously don't trial if it is unsafe, but my dog is used to running in the rain when I train so I don't know why I wouldn't trial in it. I feel that if you prepare a dog how to be safe on the equipment in the rain you can do it.
    I on the other hand fell on my butt in the mud at the last trial.

10. Sharon

Sharon Forums Sage

Feb 27, 2008
    Southeastern Ct
    . I feel that if you prepare a dog how to be safe on the equipment in the rain you can do it.
    I on the other hand fell on my butt in the mud at the last trial.[/QUOTE]

Yikes Irene I have to disagree with you on that.There is no way you can train a dog to be safe on equipment when it is raining.You do not know if the dog is gonna slip in the mud or off the equipment is wht my friend's dog did.Fell of the DW and came up limping really bad.She is at the vets as I write this.I have trialed in light rain but no way in heck will I risk injuring my dog or myself (as I am the accident waiting to happen)!!Q's or not I refuse to.Luckily now most trials around here are all indoors.