Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Laddie had surgery yesterday

Discussion in 'Diseases & Illnesses' started by LaddieKatieMom, Jul 9, 2014.

1. LaddieKatieMom

LaddieKatieMom Forums Enthusiast

Apr 14, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    The one-eyed Cookie Thief had some serious surgery yesterday. Abdominal ultrasound revealed a mass on his right adrenal (pheochromocytoma) and an abnormality in his small intestine. He went through his surgery well and they removed his right adrenal with the mass, found a nodule in his left adrenal and removed half of that gland, and resected the abnormal section from his small intestine. He also had a kidney biopsy. Kidney looked OK (some cysts but just making sure). No involvement with major blood vessels and lymph nodes all clear. He got one unit of blood and is on IV pain meds, fluids and is being monitored but generally doing well. They will be testing to see if his remaining adrenal produces enough hormone to compensate, or if he will need support meds for thatI hope to bring the poor baby home on Friday. Yesterday was a real hair-puller but our surgeon expects a full recovery.
    Healing prayers for our special and much loved rescue boy will be greatly appreciated! His little "sister" Lady is upset her big brother isn't home and is looking for him. She "velcroed" herself to me all day yesterday...She was doing better this morning. :fl

2. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    You have my prayers!

3. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    Poor Laddie...that was a lot of surgery to go through...but it sounds like he did well and is on the road to recovery. Please give him a gentle pat from me and tell him his friends here on SN are all pulling for a total recovery and many happy, healthy years to come.

Lady is obviously missing her "big brother"...she will be very relieved when Friday comes and Laddie should be home...as I am sure you will be too.

I can only imagine the emotional stress you have all been through with such an invasive surgery for your lad, but thank heavens for an excellent surgeon who has given Laddie a second chance for quality life.

Trini

4. LaddieKatieMom

Apr 14, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Thank you all for your kind words and wishes! Latest update is that he continues to do well, vitals are stable, no vomiting (I think that was post-anesthesia) and having some diarrhea for which he is getting IV fluids and anti-diarrheal meds.
    Fingers crossed he can come home on Friday. His "grandma" and I are crazy to get him in our arms and cover him with kisses. I think it was "divine intervention" for me to adopt him almost 5 years ago because the moment I saw his photo on the sheltie rescue site, the "voice" told me I must get him and care for him!! He is a wonderful little man, and we want him with us for many more years to come. You can't put a $$ value on that!!:hugs

5. Mally's Mom

Mally's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Oct 18, 2009
    Illinois
    I put Laddie on my prayer list.

Please continue to update, when you are able. Thanks.

6. Sullivan

Sullivan Forums Enthusiast

May 29, 2013
    Florida
    Your baby Laddie is on my prayer list and you and "grandma" are in my thoughts and prayers as well. I pray for a quick, pain free and complete and total recovery for Laddie. More little Lady just doesn't understand that brother had to take a little break but will be home (hopefully) Friday, then all will be right with her family again. Extra hugs for both Laddie and Lady, I'm guessing she could use a hug or two. Please keep us updated on Laddie. :fl :hugs

7. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Just saw this. May St. Francis watch over this beloved boy as he recovers. :fl

8. bkzoo

bkzoo Forums Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2014
    Wisconsin
    Prayers from my home to yours.

9. sable

sable Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2008
    Prayers and our best for a successful recovery.

10. LaddieKatieMom

Apr 14, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    To Our Dearest Sheltie-ites:
    It is with much pain that I have to report that our beloved Laddie passes early this morning. He developed post-surgical complications and although our wonderful medical team tried their best to save him, it was time to let go. I'll be over at the hospital later today and get more info on what happened. He started to decline yesterday afternoon and I ran over to speak to the surgeon and was able to see him and give him hugs and kisses. I'll post more on Sheltie Angels later today.
    Thank you again for all your kind words and thoughts. I am sure Katie was waiting for him at the bridge and they are both together again until we meet.