Go Back   Sheltie Forums > Sheltie Gear > Crates & Beds
Become a Premium Member Rules Support Sheltie Nation Member Map

Notices

View First Unread View First Unread  
Old Dec 9, 2013, 06:59 PM

Speaking from experience of having been in a low velocity crash, you can get thrown around and hurt. I am trying to come up with something myself that suits the three dogs in my truck.
Aberdale's Unforgettable CGN NTD (Natalie)
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 9, 2013, 08:52 PM

This is the one I have. Another choice besides the amount of mesh is that the x-tra large is really TALL and my shepherd has long long legs. I think I have the large for my 16" 35 pound sheltie. These are also on Amazon for more but perhaps on Amazon the sizing chart is more clear. I see on Amazon the measurements are not popping up at the moment.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/SportPet-P...e-Dogs/5192526

I have had two of the x-tra larges in 3 years, mostly because I saw a silver one and I had traded my brownish SUV in for a silver vehicle. Both are still in good shape. Because they fold up, I keep them as extra kennels if I ever have to evacuate our mountain home with the 3 cats on spur of moment.

I wouldn't say these are the sturdiest on the planet, but it confines the animals and is buckled down with seatbelt.

I know what you mean about other options -- zip line/harness turns dog into a yo-yo in a crash and you can only have one dog or tangle, other harness options either let the dog down onto floor or they get tangled up en route. Honestly,the safest is indeed a hard plastic crate but wth the shepherd I couldn't fit it in my vehicle. This was my best option and cheapest in case the zipper breaks or such.

Hope the link helps.
Aussies at the Bridge - Quasar (blue merle), Holly (black tri), & Mayson (red tri)
Old Dec 11, 2013, 09:35 AM

The crate my father picked up was similar to that, but w/o the straps. I returned it and got the same crate in your link. Thanks. Not crazy about it, but it's something to have on hand.

I'm looking for a soft crate, but not that soft. I dunno about transporting him in a wire/metal crate in the car. Plastic, maybe? I'm thinking a hard plastic crate is a decent compromise between safety and ease of use.

Anyone got a good plastic crate they want to recommend/link?
Old Dec 11, 2013, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasb's Owner View Post
The crate my father picked up was similar to that, but w/o the straps. I returned it and got the same crate in your link. Thanks. Not crazy about it, but it's something to have on hand.

I'm looking for a soft crate, but not that soft. I dunno about transporting him in a wire/metal crate in the car. Plastic, maybe? I'm thinking a hard plastic crate is a decent compromise between safety and ease of use.

Anyone got a good plastic crate they want to recommend/link?
We have Nature's Miracle "advanced pet suite with micro...." in I think 26" but could be 23". The carbon filter is useless since it's just stuck on with velcro so a determined dog could easily tear it off, but it has plenty of ventilation. I would like if the plastic was a little sturdier but we use if for crating for traveling and at home, and it's held up so far (Olive can escape her more solid wooden crate so she has an expensive lounge crate plus her crate )
http://www.natures-miracle.com/produ...rotection.aspx
We put these straps through the side latches of the crate for the care but any solid strap would be fine, we just had a coupon.
http://www.kurgostore.com/pet-carriers/carrier-keeper/
Old Jan 28, 2014, 05:36 PM

If not in a crate, he/she should at least be restrained in the back seat to avoid the air bag deploying and injuring the dog (a common issue with dogs/kids in the front seat).
Old Feb 7, 2014, 09:58 AM

I keep mine in a crate.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 08:07 PM

ruffrider makes a pet harness system supposedly made out of human grade seatbelt material. I have it for Gavin. He is able to move around the backseat a bit, but not too much.

<http://www.ruffrider.com/>