Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Sheltie Weight Chart

Discussion in 'The Sheltie Standard' started by Sheltie4Life, May 22, 2009.

1. Sheltie4Life

Sheltie4Life Forums Regular

Apr 12, 2009
    NJ
    Hi,
    I was just wondering if there was some sort of chart or something that can tell you the average Sheltie birth weight. And how the average weight should be as they progress, so you can tell if its a rather small pup or a rather large pup. I am not a breeder or anything just wanna learn a lot more about Sheltie breeding because when I get older I want to become breeder and agility and possibly show them. Or maybe all. :) And if you guys have any other personal experience with basically anything about breeding, whelping, weaning, puppy care ect. I think that I have possibly read everything about breeding but you can never learn too much. :D
    Ohh and I'm only 15 but I love Shelties with a passion and know that they will always be in my life, so I wanna learn as much as I can.
    Thank you guys!

2. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

Hi

Here is the link that we've floated around the forum before. It's not absolute because you do need to take into consideration other factors.

For instance, by two 1 year olds are both the same height at the whithers, give or take. But Bacca is long in neck, longer in body, bigger bones and weighs about 6 pounds more than Indy.

And both of them are oversize - just over 16 inches, I think, but I don't have the means to measure them accurately.

I think it's terrific that you've found a "hobby" in Shelties! They are fantastic dogs. For lots and lots on Shelties, check out GeeRome's website. It's overflowing with info

http://bowlingsite.mcf.com/size/size.html

http://sheltie-hair.blogspot.com/2008/09/101-things-to-do-with-box.html

3. Sheltie4Life

Sheltie4Life Forums Regular

Apr 12, 2009
    NJ
    Thank you so much for the links! :D I've got some reading to do.

4. Lightplum

Lightplum Forums Sage

Jan 4, 2009
    Rhode Island
    Thats a great idea...I know I have one who is on the smaller side, she is just over 13 1/4" I actually kept a very accurate weight/height chart detail on her and recently Some other breeders in my area have taken my chart to compare to their small ones...Unfortuantly I was not that detailed on my 14 1/2 girl. I do have height/weights but its much more sparse. And interesting enough my 14 1/2 ended up growing more than 1/2" after the age of 9 months.

The chart for the site barb sent you is also the sheltie bible for growing them out!! :)

Im not sure what part of the country you are in but I may suggest going to local shows and talking to breeders/handlers there, See if anyone is interested in becoming a mentor to you. I know if they are a bigger breeder/shower they look for kennel help in the summer.

5. rnxw

rnxw Forums Regular

May 5, 2009
    Thanks for the website!
    I was looking for something similar, just a question though, the measurements, are they shoulder height?

Thanks

6. Lightplum

Lightplum Forums Sage

Jan 4, 2009
    Rhode Island
    Yes height is at the whiters (shoulders).

7. Narmowen

Narmowen Forums Enthusiast

May 20, 2008
    Yep. If you feel right between the shoulderblades, you'll feel a small hallow, and that's right you want to be. Right on top of the withers, not before (that would be up on their neck) or right after. Make sure that the puppy is relaxed to get a good measurement, because being tense can make them taller than their true height.

I keep a detailed height/weight for every puppy I have, just to estimate how big they're going to be.

I've seen many champions be oversized, but they got their Ch right around 6 months and they weren't done growing. My Luke grew up until his first birthday (slow maturerers!)

My males (and females, but not as much) will "sink" at around 3 to 4 years, 1/4 to 1/2 an inch, as their chest widens.

8. Lightplum

Lightplum Forums Sage

Jan 4, 2009
    Rhode Island

Yes my girl who grew over the 1/2" was/is slow maturing. At 4 she is just starting to come into herself now. Its funny the breeder told me some of hers dont look really good until 7...lol...I got one of those apparently she will be showing in the veterans classes:lol: Ohhh well Ive always said I like mine that mature and look better each year than some of these that are making CH at under a year and fall apart and dont look as good as time goes on. You are correct with the oversized CH making at 6 months. The bigger breeders who know they are at the top or over the gray and they look good send them out with prof handlers to get them done before they size out! I dont think that is an asset to the breed either. Just because they have that CH in front of their name isnt a green light to breed JMHO..I actually bred last year to a male that was not a CH and hasnt been shown but man oh man was he one stunning dog in person...better than some of the CH around here ive seen :wink2:

9. Narmowen

Narmowen Forums Enthusiast

May 20, 2008
    Most of the time, I don't care whether a dog has a Ch in front of the name or not. I've seen gorgeous dogs without it (since Luke is damn near my ideal Sheltie, and he's never been shown in the breed ring, and probably won't be), and some damn ugly dogs with it!

I'm sure that you've seen those Ch with missing teeth, messed up heads, messed up legs etc...onces that make you wonder what the judge was smoking when he gave that dog something...

Harry Potter didn't look like an adult until he was four, but his daddy looked like an adult at 1 year! (Full coat, everything!)

Strange to see what you see in the Sheltie world!