Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Pooping to much?

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by KarenW, Feb 15, 2014.

1. KarenW

KarenW Forums Regular

Jan 17, 2014
    Il
    My 12 week old sheltie is pooing 7 times a day. I feed him 3 times daily 1/3 cup at a time. Poo is always formed not runny so not diarrheal I don't believe. I feed him IVet dog food. I received this on my first puppy visit. What do you all think and anyway to minimize this?
    It's always outside thank goodness but still 7 times?..
    Thanks for any and all advice
    Prancers mom

2. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Na, that's normal. Tully poops about 6 times a day, Deska poops once. It really depends on the dog. Like humans, bowel movements are something that can be routinised.

3. EJHUNTL

EJHUNTL Forums Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2013
    Ontario, Grand Bend
    Hanna poops twice a day - once before breakfast and once after. The oddtime she will go again early evening. I feed her twice a day and have right from the beginning.

4. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    I'm not sure if anything is technically wrong, but that does seem like a lot of poop. What kind of food are you feeding? Sometimes certain foods don't digest as well for certain dogs. Also, the amount of fiber in a food can play a role as well.

5. Junebug

Junebug Forums Regular

Nov 21, 2013
    USA
    It is a lot of poop. I would look at ingredients. I did once switch food over stool volume.

6. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    1/3 cup three times a day seems a lot of food. Melli is a 16-1/2" 38 pound fat female and she gets a heaping 1/3 cup three times a day of low-cal food. Melli's food is 298 kcal/cup. Most food is much higher in calories. My 52 pound shepherd eats 2/3 cup trhee times a day of 370 kcal per cup.

1/3 cup for a sheltie puppy seems like a lot of food and that can translate into a lot of poo. Perhaps not quite filling the scooper to the top each time would help out with this.

7. EJHUNTL

EJHUNTL Forums Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2013
    Ontario, Grand Bend
    I agree Mom2Mellie. I started Hanna on 1/2 cup daily split into 2 meals. We moved to 2/3 cup when she was about 6 months old and not getting as many training treats.

8. Tagg

Tagg Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    Brantford, On
    My westies were on 1/4 cup 3x daily at 10 weeks. They would leave here weighing about 5 - 7 lbs.
    Depending on the food, you have more fillers in some and less in others. Pups usually defecate 1 time per feeding if they are not being filled up with fillers.
    Pups require more calories than adults because of the growth they are experiencing.

9. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Forums Sage

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    I would look at the food. Don't forget you are feeding a puppy and they do need more food than an adult. Emma got about 1 cup per day when she was a puppy, then I cut back as she grew older. Now she gets about 3/8 cup twice a day. You don't want to underfeed a puppy - he is only 12 weeks you said?

10. KarenW

KarenW Forums Regular

Jan 17, 2014
    Il
    He is 12 weeks n was 8.5 when I took him to the vet 3 weeks ago I would say he is closer to ten now. I don't know if I cut back on food? Yes it might help with poo but he is always looking for food about every 6hours he seems hungry... Going to bowl pushing around standing next to cupboard food is in... His third n last meal is at 630 -7 Bed at 1030 by 530 am (we have early mornings..lol..)he's ready to go out n seems hungry.
    What type of food do you all use? I started him on blue buffalo seemed ok little runny poops... Seemed less times a day but was afraid it was going to turn into diarrhea. Vet gave me bag of IVET he seemed to like this one more..consistent firm poops but a lot a day.. Almost done with bag n scanned pet smarts isle n can't decide. Any suggestions?