Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Rimadyl and clindomyacin

Discussion in 'Drugs & Medications' started by Watson's Mom, Jun 14, 2014.

1. Watson's Mom

Watson's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Mar 24, 2012
    We are going to court this week I think. It sounds like this is the 3rd or 4th dog that has been attacked. On jack Russell was killed. The dog's rabies expired last month which I'm not particularly concerned about rabies here, but it might be the only way to get this animal euthanized since the owners have thus far refused to be responsible and keep it confined and unable to get or be loose and it did bite my boyfriend. I feel sad for what the dog's life was that has led it down this path.
    There seems to be a pattern of this owner not taking responsibility for anything that her dogs have done... yes dogs, she owns a second that has already been deemed dangerous by the court.
    I will definitely ask our vet about the probiotics on monday. He took one the last time he was on antibiotics. I'll make sure all the meds are given with food and try softening it.

2. EJHUNTL

EJHUNTL Forums Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2013
    Ontario, Grand Bend
    Keep us posted on the outcome. I'm glad you're taking it up with the law - maybe this will be what saves the next dog from being attacked.

3. Watson's Mom

Mar 24, 2012
    That's exactly it Eva- we got really lucky. The next one might not be so. I don't expect to see any money from the owner, I'm fortunate enough to have a well paying job where I can get Watson the care he needs. My concern is the next little dog that this dog gets its sights on when it's out loose.

4. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Wow. I am so sorry. Prayers of healing for all three of you.

People have got be held responsible for their dogs. This pit stuff IS getting ridiculous.

5. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    Good for you got trying to get this resolved safely. Not only are other dogs at risk from your description of the actions of this owner and her pits, but so are small children...and adults...your boyfriend got hurt too in all this. I hope the court takes this as seriously as it needs to be taken.

Gentle hugs to Watson...I am sure he is one very sore little lad today. :(

Trini

6. Sullivan

Sullivan Forums Enthusiast

May 29, 2013
    Florida
    I am so very sorry you and your family had to endure this attack. I do hope your boyfriend and Watson are healing quickly. I can't begin to image the fear that all of you, especially your little Watson must have went through.

I agree with all the posts about the pits, they are just so dangerous and should not be allowed free. Unfortunately for him, he had ill-responsible owners and was not taught the right way and he will suffer the ultimate indignity for that.

I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers. Please keep us updated on how all are doing. :cry: :fl

7. Watson's Mom

Mar 24, 2012
    Watson slept all day yesterday and is back asleep now. He was just standing there earlier and last night watching the cats tearing around the house like he wanted to join in, but knew better.

He does seem to have lost his appetite and is only eating part of each of his meals. Could this be from the meds? He happily eats them if I wrap them in cheese, otherwise he has some sort of parlor trick where he eats whatever is coating the pill and spits the pill on the floor :gaah

Any tricks to get him to eat his food? He has food sensitivities and is on LID so I don't want to monkey around with what I'm feeding him while he is on the meds.

On another note- we received a call from the dog control officer and the dog was seized from its owner yesterday under a judge's order and we have a hearing scheduled for Friday afternoon!:fl

ETA: I uploaded some pictures to an album including three of his bites if anyone was interested in seeing how they looked. I admit, I totally grieved his coat as it fell to the floor... violated by the dog AND the vet's clippers! But, he is not a show dog and he is on the mend. Some sort of coat will grow back in it's place.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
  8. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    It's more likely that he has lost his appetite because of the stress of everything that's happened.

The tablet saga - yep we go through that every day with Mr D's arthritis and Tully's hip replacement. They too can eat around a tablet. I've found it better to rotate what I stuff the tablets in so they don't get suspicious. Hot dogs are good, and if you are worried about his tummy try boiling up a little chicken and keeping a store of it in the fridge for tablet time. How big is the antibiotic? The ones my dogs have are quite big so I cut them in half (easier to hide that way).

9. Watson's Mom

Mar 24, 2012
    The antibiotic is a caplet so the first two doses, I emptied the powder into some peanut butter and let him eat it that way. It worked well for the antibiotic but he was on to me the second time I tried to use peanut butter with the rimadyl :lol:
    The little cheese blanket worked pretty well this morning for both. I've given him some pieces of the chicken jerky we use for training treats and he's eating that. Maybe I boil some chicken and mix a bit in with his regular food to make it more appetizing... he does love his boiled chicken when he gets the upset tummy. Just to keep something in his belly for medicine time.
    He is now laying under the foot rest of the recliner, barking at the cats as usual!

10. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Boiled shredded chicken is a great idea for stimulating appetite. That's what I would suggest too, especially since he likes it. Another option is the meat baby food in the little jars from the supermarket. In a pinch you can mix some of that to flavor his food...most of them love that as well. I've even given pills in that on occasion.

Glad he's healing and the attack dog has been contained. I hope you and your BF are feeling better too. What a traumatic event. And yes, happily his coat will grow back as plush as ever, not to worry!