Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Why did you get the color sheltie you have?

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Justicemom, Aug 5, 2013.

1. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Oh but I have to confess that while color does not matter eyes do. The blue eyed merles creep me out. I can have Spitfire or Sca stare at me but cannot do the same with most blue eyed merles (Cranberry is an exception to this for the most part) So while I want a Blue Merle one day it MUST have dark eyes :lol: that was a factor in getting the guys as while I could find merles finding one with both eyes dark is more challenging.

2. MissyGallant

MissyGallant Forums Enthusiast

Dec 20, 2011
    With black cats, the reason is stupid: bad luck, witchcraft, stupid. I think the bias against black dogs is possibly linked. BTW- I will ALWAYS own a black cat.

3. Lunatic59

Lunatic59 Forums Enthusiast

Jun 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    My mother adopted a pregnant black cat once and we were up to are armpits in black kittens. They were most definitely NOT bad luck, but the superstition as I understand it, black cats are bad luck if they cross your path. If they come to live with you, they are considered good luck. It could be that if they cross your path and you are driving an SUV, it's bad luck .... for the cat. :wink2:

4. k9kreationz

k9kreationz Forums Celebrity

Oct 24, 2008
    I don't think I knew any other colors existed 15 years ago when I got Miko. I grew up with a sable so I wanted a sable. As Miko matured and turned darker, I fell in love with his coloring. When I wanted another Sheltie, I went back to the same breeder for one big reason....temperament. I went to a show and out of all the dogs there, her dogs rarely barked. Sold. Add one more mahogany sable.

I then fell in love with a CHW that has, cow spots, no clue what you call it as the dog wasn't all white. Then fell in love with the bi-blues that are more like Aussies (more black spots and darker blues, not so silver/gray - sorry Ember). It seems I like AOACs that aren't the norm for coloring, darnit! I also like tri's that have a bit more brown. :rolleyes2:

Lastly, I love blazes, but neither of my boys have any. Could be why I like them more.

What will my next dog's coloring be? Most likely an AOAC. I won't get a pup until I'm ready, emotionally, after it's Miko's time. I'll probably want a dog that doesn't look like him, as Koji will be reminder enough and that will probably just kill me. So, I'll take whatever is the right fit. Oh I'm sure I'll have my faves, color wise, but personality and temperament is more important if I want to do sports with the pup.

ETA: I do like black dogs, but not so much in Shelties, no clue why. I had a black cat, but I really like calico's. I think I like the solid, bold colors on dogs. Huh.

5. Cyllian

Cyllian Forums Regular

Feb 7, 2012
    Our first sheltie was sable by choice for colors there were other pups that were tris but we really did want a sable. When he died in 2011 my husband swore we were not going to get another dog he was so upset by what happened.

A month after Tala died he was the one looking on sites for pups. He did not care if it was rescue or from a breeder to be honest but there are not that many shelties being bred close and do not have so many in rescue either. He did find some videos of little sheltie pups. One was Jester the other was his brother. When we arrived at the breeders place to look at them both my husband nearly bought both. So much for never eh? I picked the one we named Jester more because the hurt from Tala was still fresh so another sable would be to close. Jester is a sable merle with blue eyes so quite different. Well that and he wanted me to pick him up. He still is a mama's boy.

Fox was more for a companion for Jester. Jester is a bit on the anxious/fearful side. The hope was with another dog he would be less anxious and this has proven to be true. Yes I admit I did look for another color then sable more because sables are still to close to Tala for husband. I did not really care which other color though bi blue would have been top as for coloring with a tri or the Fox's (blue merle) coloring next. I am not partial to bi black only because to me they look plain nothing wrong with them just more of a preferrence. I certainly would have been happy with a bi black or a sable if they had the same results with Jester as Fox has.

6. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    well, when I went to get Happy a female friend, Callie was pretty much the only available female sheltie- and I actually picked her because of her name. the rescue did not even have a pic of her on the website. after I had filled out the application and maybe even had the home visit, I received a pic of her by email.
    very beautiful mahogany sable and super sweet, my supermodel sheltie- not the most typical sheltie as she wasn't much of a barker but I didn't know that then:winkgrin:

Cranberry was picked purely by color within days of being born. I had seen a sable merle girl with brown eyes at a dog show and loved her color. I didn't know about sable merles before that, blues I had seen but smerle- not a clue.
    so I decided I would get one someday- and I wanted one that you could tell that was what he was. and Cran's puppy pic seemed to fit the bill.
    like Sheep, I was a little leery of blue-eyed dogs but the one blue, one brown works for us.
    I was in contact with the breeder basically the whole 2 months until he came home- she described his temperament but I would have taken him no matter what. and he is a great dog- a real momma's boy. but he will happily play with anyone who will throw his frisbee for him.

Dixie- well, she's the one that I didn't pick. She was offered to us after we lost Happy. I knew that Cran would need someone to play with and someone to keep him from driving Callie bonkers with all his puppy energy. She is also the only one that I met before bringing her home- she was just so sweet and loving when we met her that I had no issues with deciding to add her. she is also a mahogony sable and very cute.

Little puppy Jocu- was supposed to be small and blue. the only blues to be found when I was looking (last Sep to Jan) were already claimed or being kept by the breeder or were going to be on the bigger side. so as my window of opportunity started to close, I emailed Jocu's breeder and asked if any of the black pups had a blaze.....
    so not even color now- we're picking based on markings only:cool:
    he is an amazing puppy- very sweet- a little hyper at home but perfect gentleman when we are out and about.
    I will assume that the breeder did narrow which puppies she chose to offer me (2 biblacks) based on my initial request for a performance dog. I only saw pix of two pups out of a litter of 8. Subtract the blue from the original 8 and that left five puppies (biblacks and tris) weren't even shown as prospects- now I know that at least one other of those pups was kept by the breeder.

I do aspire to the sheltie rainbow but I do not need to have all 6 colors at the same time.
    I would like to order my 12" biblue now- boy/girl doesn't matter:fl

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  7. Tabitha

Tabitha Forums Enthusiast

Apr 5, 2013
    Lubbock, Texas
    WHAT?!:eek2: OK, well I can see where the ice blue eyes would have that effect.
    But I LOVE the dark blue eyes.

8. Lunatic59

Lunatic59 Forums Enthusiast

Jun 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    How can blue eye on a cute little merle be anything but adorable? Now, if you want to see intimidating blue eyes ....

Attached Files:

9. Katagaria

Katagaria Forums Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2012
    Ireland
    After we decided we were going to get a sheltie, we had it in mind we'd get a female sable. We went to a dog show where they were showing shelties and we had a talk with a couple of the people there, we discovered one man who had a couple of puppies, they were tri's and blue merles.

We didn't care though, we just wanted a sheltie because their general character was what we liked as well as them being absolutely beautiful. We ended up with a boy called Cosmo (blue merle)... four months later we ended up taking the last of the litter as well, another boy who was a tri. We were honestly baffled as to why it took so long for the last of the litter to go, Jet is an absolute joy to have.

It was funny, initially we were set on getting a female beagle and calling it Penny. But we ended up with two male shelties lol.

p.s. we have two black kitties. :biggrin2:

10. labgirl

labgirl Forums Sage

Feb 22, 2009
    Suffolk, UK
    I remember you mentioning that when I got Merlin and saying it was nice he had dark eyes. I wanted one blue one brown, but I'm not complaining. My boy has the sweetest hazel eyes and if you look deep enough you can just see a hint of blue:wink2: