Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Miss Maddie

Discussion in 'Sheltie Angels' started by maddiesmom, Nov 30, 2013.

1. maddiesmom

maddiesmom Forums Enthusiast

Dec 14, 2011
    port orchard wa
    http://s1113.photobucket.com/user/the1911er/media/Missmaddie basking in the sun/IMG_0004.jpg.html

We first saw our beloved Madeline when she was 6 weeks old. I remember seeing an ad in the paper for a female Sheltie puppy and I asked my husband if we could just go and look at the puppy. There she was romping in the grass, a fluffy fur ball with a behind that resembled the fifth-wheel on our big rig. Needless to say we left a deposit and she was ours. We picked her up when she was 12 weeks old. I remember she threw up on me on the ride home and I thought we had made a mistake; a puppy that gets car sick and we were long haul truck drivers! Thankfully that was the only time she was ever sick in the car or the truck. She was the perfect traveler and loved to sit on the floor board on the passenger side of the truck looking out a small window that was at her eye level. We called her our “million mile girl.” During the time she was on the truck we traveled over a million safe miles. Life on the road wasn’t without mishaps though. She loved to chew and nothing seemed to escape her sharp little teeth including the truck seat. We came back to the truck and I found her looking just pleased as punch with tuffs of stuffing hanging from her mouth.
    Maddie, or Squirt as her daddy affectingly called her was a “Daddy’s Girl”. She loved to lick his bald head, clean his ears, and lick his toes. She would go to him first call, and loved to give him puppy hugs.
    When Maddie joined our household she was little sis to our beloved Miss Ellie, then big sis to Miss Saddie and then Mr. MacGreggor. Maddie was 12 when MacGreggor came home. At first she was very cranky, snarling and giving him the stink-eye whenever he came near, then as time wore on she started playing with him on her good days. She had been diagnosed with a heart condition, and suffered from frequent bladder and kidney issues.
    On January 8th we had to go to the Vet again. She had stopped eating a couple of days earlier and I thought perhaps she had another bladder infection. The Vet did an ultrasound and they discovered a mass on her liver. We decided to bring her home and give her a couple of days to see if we could get her to eat. We cooked up some hamburger which she ate with gusto.
    March 15th our dear girl is still eating her home cooked meals of hamburger, rice, and yogurt. She is a little unsteady on her feet and her breathing is getting labored; Waiting a couple of days to see how things play out before we call the vet.
    April 8th and she is doing great. We have replaced the yogurt with pumpkin, which she just loves.
    Things went pretty smoothly during the summer. Maddie enjoyed going outside and laying in the grass soaking up the sunshine. In September I noticed that she sometimes she seemed alittle spaced-out. You could call her and she wouldn’t respond and the palsy seemed worse.
    In September we also acquired a female blue merle who we call Lily. Maddie tolerated her. If the puppy got on her nerves she would growl and let her know to back off. At times, on her good days, she would even play with Lily.
    As Autumn progressed so did Maddies illness. She developed the shakes and staggered like a drunk person. Last night she didn’t eat her dinner and was very restless. When we let her out she was unable to come back up the steps on her own. We stayed awake with her the rest of the night. This morning I called the vet and they fit us in. She was hungry and ate her breakfast and when I put her lease on she pranced off the porch and hopped into the car. I started thinking maybe just her meds needed to be changed. The vet examined her and said we could do tests to see if the mass had spread, blood work, xrays, etc. He said we were close to the end and should consider the quality of life. We definitely did not want to see her suffer. We made the choice to let our Miss Maddie go to the Rainbow Bridge. I held her in my arms as she crossed over.
    Rest in peace Miss Madeline. We love you.
    November 30, 2013

2. EJHUNTL

EJHUNTL Forums Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2013
    Ontario, Grand Bend
    Yous Maddie sounds like a wonderful girl - I could read the love in these lines. So sorry for your loss.

3. rose

rose Forums Enthusiast

Nov 30, 2011
    washington
    tears in my eyes as I read this.
    so very sorry for your loss of sweet Maddie :hugs

4. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Forums Sage

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    I am so sorry for the loss of your wonderful girl. :hugs

5. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    Maddie was such an incredibly lucky little girl to have lived her entire life being so dearly loved....the love you have for her shines through in everything you wrote in your post.

My heart goes out to you...I know how painful it is to lose a precious soul even when their life has been full and long. I hope you can take comfort in all the wonderful memories of shared times with your beloved Miss Maddie.

Trini and my gang.

6. Margi

Margi Premium Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    So sad to hear this. There aren't any words that make it better, so I will just say I'm sending up a prayer. Your post made it clear that Maddie had a wonderful life.

7. mellie

mellie Forums Enthusiast

May 18, 2011
    East Coast
    What a wonderful life you had together. She will live forever in your heart. Run free sweet Maddie. :hugs

8. Tabitha

Tabitha Forums Enthusiast

Apr 5, 2013
    Lubbock, Texas
    Oh Sherri, I'm so sorry to hear the of the of your sweet little girl. My heart goes out to you as I type this through tears. You, Clay, and all your furbabies are all in my thoughts and prayers.:hugs
    Rest in Peace sweet Miss Madeline.

9. bi-blacks

bi-blacks Forums Enthusiast

Jan 17, 2012
    Winnipeg, Mb. Canada
    So sorry for your lose. Miss Maddie had a wonderful life full of many adventures with you. She runs free now, ready for more adventures.

10. Mally's Mom

Mally's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Oct 18, 2009
    Illinois
    I am so very sorry to hear of your sweet Miss Maddie's passing.

My heart and prayers go out to you.