Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Rescue transportation volunteer registry (proposed)

Discussion in 'Rescue Chat' started by mmcginty, Apr 14, 2012.

1. mmcginty

mmcginty Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2011
    (This thread is a spin-off from this post: http://sheltieforums.com/showpost.php?p=219810&postcount=20, about the possibility of creating a registry of volunteers willing to relay-transport rescue Shelties between distant points.)

This may not be exactly the right section, but I think it's pretty close, and we can always jump again. At some point I'll likely ask the esteemed admins of this fine forum for some direction, but all in due time. (I love them for putting up with me, but don't want to push it.)

Ok, a couple of things occurred to me over the day:

Regarding security and personal safety, the registration process could ask participants to [optionally] send $1 or even $0.01 via paypal, to validate their registration. As the recipient we could then know (and thus indicate) whether the user's address is verified by paypal, which would provide a fairly strong level of identification (bank account, shipping address, transaction history, etc.) without needing to actually handle any of that sensitive information AND without incurring any costs. Strong identification, in turn, holds participants accountable for their actions, and deters those who might try to exploit such a system.

On the flip side, I realized one scenario in which such a system could be exploited: person who wants a dog but couldn't qualify to adopt poses as a transport volunteer and disappears with the dog. This risk could be mitigated to some degree by requiring a signed agreement with prescribed civil remedies for such a breach, but the reality is that suing someone in another state, and then collecting if you win, can be expensive and time-consuming. Years ago I sued someone 150 miles away, prepared my filing, paid the filing fees, took a day off work to drive up, only to have the a-hole ask for (and receive) a continuance. I did prevail in the end, and he did pay, but after time off and travel I came out net-negative. Point being that threat of suit across state lines might not be very compelling to the desparate.

Oh and someone mentioned logistics getting the rescues to release the dogs... I figured that arrangement would be the responsibility of the person adopting the dog. And when the dog is being held by a pound (i.e., the ones most in need of time-critical transport) the point becomes pretty much moot, doesn't it?

2. rose

rose Forums Enthusiast

Nov 30, 2011
    washington
    sounds like a good idea
    i can not help with transport, can not drive, but willing to help in other ways.

3. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    Hmm... I think most people who would transport are probably forum regulars.
    or we could make membership (and/or length of) a requirement?

Cindy

4. mmcginty

Jul 11, 2011
    We could, but what would that really prove? And how could that be programmaticaly verified? Paypal publishes an API (application programming interface -- a defined/supported way for third-party software to interact with it) that makes it pretty easy to fully automate verification.

Don't get me wrong, I'd welcome any level of affiliation and/or integration with the forum that was on the table. But I don't want to impose upon its admins nor cause them any extra headaches.

5. Danny's mommy

Danny's mommy Forums Enthusiast

Jun 2, 2011
    Michigan
    I have noticed that sheltie rescue groups do organize transports and they move multiple dogs at a time. I am beginning to think that the sheltie rescues in each state would be a good starting point.

6. hrcarol

hrcarol Forums Enthusiast

Jan 19, 2012
    Atlanta suburbs
    I agree! A FB group would be easy too. It might be a good way for us to spread the word on Shelties in need.

7. mmcginty

Jul 11, 2011
    I registered a domain for this project, gypsyrescuetransport.com, in honor of Dawn A's recently departed Sheltie.

I'll get some pages up there over this next week.

8. MissSuzie

MissSuzie Forums Enthusiast

Nov 19, 2008
    Beautiful SW Florida
    I think this is a wonderful idea and I've said many times lately that I can't take in another rescue, but I could help transport one to his/her new home. I would definitely sign up to participate.

9. danisgoat

danisgoat Moderator

Jul 23, 2009
    NJ
    Posting about transport needed for rescues is a great idea.

I am pretty confident the forum is not going to handle the registration process that you proposed, though.

If this is something that you would like to set up yourself on your own website (such as the one that you just did), I think it is a great idea and I am confident that the forum will support your efforts by posting the links whenever there is a dog that would need a ride. This would definitely be a worthy cause and something you can be proud of starting up.

I say, go for it, get it set up and I know that many forum members would try and support your efforts as best they can!

10. UConn Sheltie

UConn Sheltie Forums Regular

Nov 18, 2011
    Conn
    I would do what I can from "the quiet corner of CT"