Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Sad news day :(

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by trini, Nov 30, 2013.

1. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    This morning I received 2 emails from good friends...both with unexpected and very sad news.

The first was was about the sudden death of a beautiful 3 year old blue Aussie...a heart dog for her owner. Her Aussie had been feeling increasingly poorly for a couple of weeks and was being treated for a stomach issue...it was not her stomach...it was a bowel obstruction that had progressed from partial to complete.

The second was the death of a precious little retired show Pommie who my friend adopted 3 years ago when she was retired from the show ring...another heart doggie. She had been coughing and having breathing issues since late summer and her vet had been treating for a partially collapsed trachea (very common in Poms). Sadly it wasn't trachea issues at all, it was congestive heart failure and when she was rushed back into the vet hospital yesterday, struggling to breath, she was finally diagnosed correctly but it was too late. She died an hour after being admitted into the hospital.

Both these deaths should have been avoidable...a real tragedy...and my friends are feeling guilty that somehow they should have known what was wrong even though multiple vet visits had not gotten the right dx. We live with so many "if onlys" when we lose a beloved doggie to a condition that shouldn't have caused their death "if only" the condition had been caught sooner and treated appropriately.

My heart breaks for both of them. :(

Trini and my gang.

2. Tabitha

Tabitha Forums Enthusiast

Apr 5, 2013
    Lubbock, Texas
    I'm so sorry for your friends losses. Prayers and happy memories to you all.:hugs

3. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Forums Sage

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    I am so sorry for the losses of your friends. The Aussie issue I can so identify with. My Liam went through a bowel obstruction. Thank God, the vet got it in time.

It is so hard to lose our heart dogs. Hugs and prayers for your friends.

4. mellie

mellie Forums Enthusiast

May 18, 2011
    East Coast
    Prayers of Peace for all.

5. missjenneygirl

missjenneygirl Forums Enthusiast

Aug 20, 2009
    connecticut
    That feeling of "if only", is just gut wrenching. Every time you think about it, for the rest of your life, you wish is was different.

I should have grabbed a dog that I placed with good friends, when he became sick. I spoke with them over the several days, with a plan and finally exact instructions to get to vet first thing the next morning . I even said, do not accept any other time. The day went by, I didn't hear from them. At 6:30 that night, they called saying they were taking him to the ER vet.....he died on the way. They told me they had an appointment for THE NEXT DAY at 10:30am. If I had only intervened, grabbed him and taken him to my vet, who is always available to me in an emergency.

I will never forget it. And now, I have to see my friend, for the first time since it happened, at a Christmas party. I have so many intense emotions over this.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
  6. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    I can relate to the "what if". I spent a lot of time asking myself that same question. "What if I would have pushed the vet to check Hollie's gallbladder years before, I am a nurse and should have known better". But that does not change the situation and only adds to our grief. I have learned to just accept the tragedy and believe that someone had a reason for everything that happened.

These are both very sad situations and I send my sympathy to everyone. But please do not blame yourself for what has happened. Life is always full of what if's. Everyone did what they thought was the right thing and should not blame themselves

7. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    trini -

My first rescue sheltie 'Billy', the love of my life, also passed away from a gallbladder illness. I lost him 3 years ago and my heart still hurts. My only positive thought is that he is in heaven reunited with his original master.

My 'what if' moment came when his 1st attack happened. I rushed him to emergency and then took him to an advanced care center where they had him in ICU for over 4 days. The ultrasound showed it was a gallbladder attack. He eventually recovered - should I have removed his gallbladder then?

The second attack happened 6 months latter and eventually took his life. Although I got him into my vet immediatly, he did rebounded slightly but when I got him home he would no longer eat or drink. He was so weak and old and could not endure any surgery.

No matter what happens we all know in our hearts we did the best we could. All my prayers go out to those who have loved a dog and lost it. It is never an easy thing to go through. I just feel blessed little Billy was in mt life at all.

Gloria

8. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    Connie, I am sure there is not a human alive who doesn't have a slew of "if onlys" to look back on. And I know that Shelby's Mom is right in her word of wisdom that we have to let go, not carry the blame and move on...but I also know from my own "if onlys" that this can be so incredibly hard to do. Memories and regrets pop up when we are most vulnerable and they can be hard to push away...even though hanging on to them can't change what has happened.

My thoughts are with you as you have to cope with seeing your friend this holiday...I suspect she too is carrying her own "if only" and all the sadness and regrets that go with it.

Trini and my gang.

9. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA

10. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    Thank-you to each of you who have shared words of comfort for my friends. I will let them know that many share their sadness and understand their loss...as only other "dog people" can.

Trini