Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Sheltie 10 months behaviors towards cocker spaniel 2 months

Discussion in 'Behavior' started by Mei-Li, Jul 10, 2014.

1. Mei-Li

Mei-Li Forums Regular

May 4, 2014
    Macao
    Hello all

We adopted a pup cocker spaniel and brought her home when she was only 1 month.

My sheltie, MeiLi, accepted her, divided her things with cocker no problem, doesnt mind that the cocker steals her food but when she interacts with her we see some worry things. I am not sure why all this mouthing around pup's neck.

I took a video of her doing that in a controlled situation bcs...when they are free hell starts:(.

How to stop that?:gaah

Here is the video: close attention in the ending.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoMB3LMlDY0

Thank you all for your help!

2. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    It's called the bitey game or bitey face and is pretty common amongst dogs, esp within the same family. They nip at each other's ears and paws, maybe making growling sounds when they do it. It isn't aggressive but just a form of playing, the mouths are kept soft. My female sheltie also plays this game with my cats as well my male sheltie, and other than a bit of saliva there's never been a problem.

As Mei Li is an adolescent you may just want to allow her to do it in short bursts only so she doesn't get too carried away. Adolescents don't have the best self control so she may just get too silly and annoying if it goes on too long. Otherwise I would still let her play. Your Cocker doesn't seem to mind from the video.

This is from an article on DogStarDaily (Dr Ian Dunbar's website) by Leah Roberts called Games Dogs Play she calls the game bitey face. You might want to read the full article to get an idea of the play behaviour http://www.dogstardaily.com/blogs/games-dogs-play
    If you are not sure if a dog is enjoying getting his ears chewed, you can give him the Bully Test. Have the owner of the other dog gently restrain him from approaching your dogfor a moment. If your dog is into it, he’ll run right back to the other dog for more. If he needed a break, he is likely to shake himself off and walk in the other direction. In that case, redirect the other dog into another play activity or to another play partner.

3. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    I agree with Caro! You've got one totally delighted Sheltie there!!

4. ClantyreSheltie

ClantyreSheltie Forums Sage

Feb 24, 2010
    Baltimore
    Looks totally normal to me!

You should have seen my mothers Border Collie with my Jase when he was a baby. Body slams and teeth and growling. The only difference was that she would "get little" on the ground so he could climb on her. She understood that he was little, and made herself little to match.

Now that he's almost a year old, the two of them wrestle and tear up a room bouncing off of things. He's big enough to mostly keep up with her in a field and they are best buds.

5. Mei-Li

Mei-Li Forums Regular

May 4, 2014
    Macao

thanks so much...it is just for now there is a huge difference of size and i freak out when my sheltie jumps like a goat!!!!!!And my cocker is learning to control her biting....because she is really biting everyone hard.

I guess...i will be more calm when my cocker grows a lil bit more.

Meili is completely obssessed with my cocker now and gets very anxious when my pup gets sick. She lost her mom very early ( not sure how) but i do know the cocker pup is supposed to be with her mom and family a lil bit more time.

6. Mei-Li

Mei-Li Forums Regular

May 4, 2014
    Macao

My sheltie does that! lays on...and then my cocker climbs her...funny.

Just wish my sheltie would have half energy she has!:lol:

7. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    LOL Those look like 2 very happy pups! Totally normal play...but I would separate them when you are not monitoring their play so that Mei-Li doesn't get over excited and bite too hard by mistake...she is still a pup herself. Such cuties!! :smile2:

Trini

8. Justicemom

Justicemom Forums Celebrity

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    Yep totally normal.

Here are Birch and Celtic playing. Celtic was about 12 weeks here. They play much much rougher now.
    https://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tn...8280465&set=vb.100001978188328&type=2&theater

This type of play actually teaches dogs to control the pressure of their bites. You brought home a very young puppy, her mom and littermates should have taught her, don't bite hard. If the cocker bites too hard the other dog will let them know.

9. Mignarda

Mignarda Forums Enthusiast

Jan 17, 2013
    Dover, Delaware
    Dickens and Callie have been doing this since they first met! Whenever they're together, both dogs end up completely wet around the neck from "killing" each other. Callie grabs Dickens by the mane and hangs on, with the result that his fur ends up getting all matted and has to be brushed out. And Dickens bares his teeth as if he means to rip Callie's head off. All in good fun!

10. susanmccain

susanmccain Forums Enthusiast

Jan 27, 2013
    London, Ohio
    Both videos are cute as heck. I have that kind of play all day long...except Sir Dash is 3 and his playmate is a Jack Russell. They have played rough since he was a baby...no harm done to either...they are best buddies.