Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

What can I use to remove TearMender???

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by CluneBrae, Apr 15, 2012.

1. CluneBrae

CluneBrae Forums Enthusiast

Dec 30, 2011
    Canada
    It's bath night tonight and boy does Mystique need it! White looks grey from all the garden work, pitch stuck on her belly from romps in the forest not to mention the beach sand.
    A good bath will get rid of the abover but what I don't know how to take off is the TearMender that was used to glue her ears for tipping?
    Any suggestions? She looks like a kid with chewing gum stuck in her hair.

2. ClantyreSheltie

ClantyreSheltie Forums Sage

Feb 24, 2010
    Baltimore
    I use the medical adhesive remover that comes in little packets behind the counter at Walgreens. I have no idea what it's called.

3. Lightplum

Lightplum Forums Sage

Jan 4, 2009
    Rhode Island
    uni-solve is that what your thinking? It comes in little packets like the alcohol wipes or in a bottle.

Ive used zo-eze as well...but that you have to order from Mel.

4. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

I used to use Detachol.....same idea as what was said above....its a bandage adhesive remover in a bottle format but does not stink or seem to irritate likes others do. It WAS hard to find though....I ended up finding it on eBay as it could not find in my neck of the woods. But it worked great.

5. Jess041

Jess041 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    I use uni-solve also. My breeder recommended goo-gone, but it's really oily.. so I guess if she's going to get a bath anyways. It's probably easier to find than the other stuff.

6. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

I tried goo-gone....it did not work at all....and even after a bath, it took forever to get it out.

7. MissSuzie

MissSuzie Forums Enthusiast

Nov 19, 2008
    Beautiful SW Florida
    I used Detachol before I gave up on the ear tipping. I got it at a local medical supply store. Little individual packets with pre-moistened wipe. It worked well.

8. CluneBrae

CluneBrae Forums Enthusiast

Dec 30, 2011
    Canada
    Thanks everyone...I'll do my best with the bath tonight until I can get my hands on one of the products mentioned tomorrow. We'll be going back to the breeder for an ear tipping session asap. Her left one is going "boing" striaight up. I'm not totally fussy as we love her no matter what her ears look like but I would like to try to have them tip.
    Do we need to hurry in to get them glued again or will a few days matter with the one that is prick?

9. Lightplum

Lightplum Forums Sage

Jan 4, 2009
    Rhode Island
    technically you can leave it a few days...we dont like to with show puppies but a pet should be fine....in fact if your going to the breeder id just leave it well enough alone..she can have the ears out in record time if you start adding your own concoctions to remove it, it may hamper the re-glueing effect if there is residual from your remover.

10. theory

theory Forums Regular

Apr 13, 2012
    nyc
    When we got Halo, his breeder sent us home with a bottle of TearMender and a bottle of Goo Gone (or was that goo be gone?). We dab at his ears until they come out, smells terrible though.