Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Sweet Bonnie

Discussion in 'Sheltie Angels' started by MissyGallant, Jul 8, 2014.

1. MissyGallant

MissyGallant Forums Enthusiast

Dec 20, 2011
    16 years ago, I went to visit my mom who had just gotten an eight week old puppy named Bonnie. Bonnie's breeders weren't very ethical and she was really only about five weeks old. None the less, I fell in love. 4 years ago, I finally had a house and a fenced in yard. I'd put Bonnie's first born puppy to sleep the week before my wedding, and mom asked me if I wanted Bonnie because she knew I always wanted her. I asked my husband who said Of course. Bonnie got brushed and walked and loved by all of us. She never learned to fetch because her part of the fetch game was to try to prevent every other dog from getting that ball. She even met a Shetland sheep, who butted her in the head, which judging by the look on her face, she tough was highly rude.

A year or so ago, she had a stroke. She got better, but she tilted her head in the cutest fashion imaginable when she walked. She could still jump onto the couch, but needed help getting to the bed.

In the past few months, she has declined. She is blind and deaf. She sleeps most of the time. But when she is awake, she still makes sure that Clara's ears are clean. But in the awake time, she hasn't played with Clara no matter how hard Clara tries. Last week, she got even worse, she has a sensitive spot like her son did. She can't eat. She is in renal failure. And Saturday I went to bring her inside and watched as she tripped over a garden hose and landed face first against the house as she fell into our window well. She wasn't hurt. But it made us fully realize it is time to say goodbye. So tomorrow, we will.

And this is shattering my heart. It is like saying goodbye to Brodie twice. And needing to delay is wretched, but Mom wants to be there too, and Wednesday is when she can. I think it was easier when I had to make an on the spot decision about Brodie. Thnking about it and deciding when just hurts too much.

2. MissieLynn

MissieLynn Forums Enthusiast

Jun 14, 2013
    Oklahoma
    I'm tearing up. I'm so sorry. It's a horrible and heartbreaking decision, but you're doing the right thing. :hugs

3. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    I am SO sorry. It brings back my tears remembering the decision moments for my own beloved dogs and cats of the past. I will give you a virtual hug and to your mom too. I pray your little girl passes easily to the Bridge where I know she will be welcomed by so many of our babies and her own son who will be the most joyful of all at her arrival. They all will welcome her and re-teach her to romp and play without the pain and tiredness of the many years she carries. Rest well little angel Bonnie. Hugs and more hugs to your family.

4. ute_fan

ute_fan Forums Enthusiast

Jan 23, 2012
    Utah
    Hugs and prayers headed your way. It's so hard to lose a beloved furbaby.

5. ellenspn

ellenspn Forums Enthusiast

Jul 6, 2014
    Swamps of NE Illinois
  6. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Sorry for the end but what a lot of great years :smile2: Give her a last pet from us.

7. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Sending you many, many hugs and comfort. Bonnie has had a wonderful life with you. :hugs

8. Tabitha

Tabitha Forums Enthusiast

Apr 5, 2013
    Lubbock, Texas
    I'm so sorry to hear of Bonnie's decline. She's had a wonderful life with you and will happily wait for as long as it takes to be reunited where you'll never part again. Sending comforting hugs to you, Bonnie, and all who loves you.:hugs

9. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    I am so very sorry...this is always a decision we dread even when we know it is the last gift of love we can give them. How incredibly blessed your sweet Bonnie was to have been so loved by everyone in your family for her entire life. May tomorrow's good-bye be a peaceful one for your precious girl.

Trini

10. Mally's Mom

Mally's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Oct 18, 2009
    Illinois
    I am so very sorry.

My heart and prayers are with you.