Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Boarding time

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Watson's Mom, Aug 25, 2014.

1. Watson's Mom

Watson's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Mar 24, 2012
    I had to drop Watson off at the kennel last night for a few days since we both have to go out of town for work... I considered getting a dog friendly motel room and smuggling him out with us, but the timing of our assignment just wouldn't work.

He gets board once, maybe twice a year and I always feel so bad leaving him. Our vet clinic just added a boarding facility so that's where he is. They took me back to see where he would stay and one of the ladies on the kennel staff said she used to show shelties. And there's a camera in his "room" so I just got to see someone pop in to say hello.... he was all wiggly and tail wagging and giving kisses... what sheltie is this???? I have always been told every time he's boarded he's very well behaved and quiet... quiet??? When I look at the camera feed I've yet to see him barking... goober needs to practice that at home!

But, at the same time it's definitely too quiet without him around!

2. melbell

melbell Forums Enthusiast

Feb 4, 2013
    Erie, Pennyslvania
    Eek! I'd go crazy if I had to board my doggies. Though, we did not have them for a month in between my wedding and my brothers. My parents are generous enough that they will watch them anytime I can't. It helps that they also have 2 shelties and a yorkie. I literally went crazy without them... what do you mean I don't need to go outside to potty dogs?? Why isn't there a sheltie barking at the car horn? I hear our neighbors, but no sheltie bark :mad:

You'll make it through and he'll be even happier to see you! That's awesome that you can watch him on cam though. Definitely adds another layer of comfort in your heart that he's okay.

3. Watson's Mom

Mar 24, 2012
    It's definitely stressful, even though I will get him Wednesday morning... swapping a cat with a swampy tooth for Watson.

He's boarded I think only twice before.. this May I ran the Buffalo Half Marathon and although we had a dog friendly motel, I thought the hustle and bustle of the city and of thousands of people running might be a touch overwhelming for him. The second time was when we went to Disney World... he went too, and was boarded 5 minutes from our resort and we could go take him out to the dog park every day for as long as we wanted. So, we did that when we needed a break from the "magic" of the people parks!

My parents live 6 hours away and I honestly don't trust anyone in his family to watch him... especially for a couple of days.

4. Jess041

Jess041 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    I would also have a hard time boarding my dog! So far I've only spent one night away from her, and my parents watched her for me. It was like a vacation for her because she loves playing with their dogs! I do have a place that I send her for day care that I would trust to watch her if I had to go on a trip or something. Luckily my job requires zero travel. My last vacation was literally right before I picked her up. I got off the plane from Disney World and drove to pick her up!

P.S. in 2005 we went to Disney World and that was when they still had dog boarding in some of the theme parks. I know they definitely had one in Magic Kingdom. It was decorated like 101 Dalmatians. We were in Orlando for a Disc Dog competition so we had our border collie with us, so she totally got to go into the parks with us, then boarded in their facilities. My parents had to take turns going to walk her every couple hours, but it was pretty cool otherwise. She's our only dog that can say she's been to Disney World!

5. Watson's Mom

Mar 24, 2012
    The place in Orlando he stayed was actually really nice and the people were all really nice too. When he trotted off willingly with one of the staff members after we took him out to play, I felt better about him being there. They were Disney themed but I don't think owned by them.

Other than that trip, our vacations involve dog friendly motels or our camper. Sometimes it can be hard to find places but we've been pretty lucky so far. And when we were in Bar Harbor this June, he even got to go into a bunch of little shops in town, out to breakfast at a cute little place, and out for lobster dinner at a lobster pound over looking the harbor!

6. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    At least he is at your vet. I would like that more, esp. if it is a separate area, and brand new.

I boarded Shay for all of 4 hours at Disneyland and I practically was in tears. My knee was killing me so I used that as the excuse to get him and go back to my hotel. It was a nice facility and he was next to a cast member's service dog who stays there every time the man is working.

7. Watson's Mom

Mar 24, 2012
    It is brand new to the tune of opening about a month ago. Nice new tiled floors and walls, cushy bedding. Somewhat sound proof walls- the barking can be heard through one set of the glass but once inside each room, it can't be heard- so if they want to bark- go ahead and bark but if one gets going it won't set them all off which I like too. They would normally offer daycare play group for them to get out and play. I, for obvious reasons, asked he not be included in that and they will take him to play in the big day care room by himself instead.

I thought I was going to cry when I dropped him off- it's the first time I've left him since he played the part of chew toy.:eek:

8. MissyGallant

MissyGallant Forums Enthusiast

Dec 20, 2011
    We have a mutual dog watch with the people who bought our puppies. When they are out of town, we watch Katy and Sherman. We went out of town this weekend, and they watched Casey and Annabelle. We took Tara and Clara camping with us. We just decided Casey can't handle walking like that anymore, and he went to visit. We get Katy and Sherman in October.

9. Watson's Mom

Mar 24, 2012
    That has to be nice, and reassuring to be able to leave your pups with someone you know and who is also familiar with the breed. Watson is a runner, if anyone were to ever drop his leash or put his collar on wrong, they would never get him back. No one in his family grasps how soft and sensitive these guys are or my wish that his training be positive reinforcement so I worry to let them watch him for that too.. they are more positive punishment types, and I hate that.

I watched him have his morning playtime and he was really good interacting with the staff member. I put in his sheet his favorite games are "chase" and "tag".... he would follow her all around the room and I could just tell he was thinking "run woman, run!! I want to chase you around the room!"

10. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    I LOVE the web cam idea. I think he is at a good place and I would be comfortable with that if I needed to do that.