Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Help please - "factoring" questions

Discussion in 'Sheltie Colors' started by bkzoo, May 3, 2014.

1. bkzoo

bkzoo Forums Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2014
    Wisconsin
    Hi!

I am looking at a puppy that is "tri-factored, white-factored, sable merle". Can someone tell me what that means?

His father is beautiful, but the website doesn't say the name of his coloring. He has a beautiful brown coat, with black ears, "widows peak" & black over his back, nice full white collar. Is that maybe a tri-factored coat? (I know he's not a tri).

The mother is a blue merle - explaining the one blue eye of the puppy.

Sorry if I appear ignorant. My first & only Sheltie was a bi-blue. I understand the basic colors, just don't know the "factoring".

thanks!

2. Lightplum

Lightplum Forums Sage

Jan 4, 2009
    Rhode Island
    Sounds like dad could be a tri, or maybe even tri factored..
    Now heres the simple break down.
    Tri Factored, means they carry the gene that when bred they can offspring a tri dog depending on what they are bred to.
    White Factor means they carry the gene for white factoring, (think lots of white) but not always..it is different from the irish factor which gives full white collar and legs...Usually breeders can quickly look at a dog and the wives tale is white up the inside of the leg=white factored...not always true and some times you dont know a dog is white factored until you do a breeding and you end up with some color headed whites and go hey, mom and dad must be white factored for that to pop up.
    Sable Merle is from breeding a sable with a Merle. It dilutes out the sable and sometimes mottles it or you get that washed out sable color and some times blue eyes.

Now with all this said...variations, anomalies etc can happen...percentages etc play into what happens with each breeding.

3. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Damn! You're good, Linda! :cool:

4. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    Cranberry is a tri-factored sable merle
    not white factored though:winkgrin:

5. ClantyreSheltie

ClantyreSheltie Forums Sage

Feb 24, 2010
    Baltimore
    So Shelties only come in two colors, black and brown (colors, NOT patterns).

If Dad is brown and Mom is black (a blue merle is just a diluted black), then the puppy must get a black gene from mom, because that's all she has to offer. Because the puppy is brown, you know he got the brown gene from Dad, because if he got a black gene from dad, he'd be black.

ALL the puppies in the litter are black-factored because their mother is black, it's dad that decides whether they are black or brown by what he passes.

Then add the merle gene to whatever color they are, and there you go!

6. bkzoo

bkzoo Forums Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2014
    Wisconsin
    Thanks for all the replies. This is all waay too much for my tiny brain to want to remember! :confused2:

I'm just trying to figure out what the pup will look like when he grows up - the "factoring" doesn't matter to me since he wouldn't be bred. With Trace I knew. Of course his coat changed as he grew up, but bi-blue is bi-blue. I have seen so many pics of sables that really change from puppy to adult.

Doesn't really matter I suppose, - have yet to see a Sheltie that isn't adorable!

7. ClantyreSheltie

ClantyreSheltie Forums Sage

Feb 24, 2010
    Baltimore
    I think the important thing for you is to know that merle dilutes black better than it dilutes brown. So as the puppy gets older and gets darker, the merling will be much more apparent.

8. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    I have to say- it's was quite fascinating watching Cranberry grow up- his coat changed practically every week- pix here.
    watching Jocu (biblack) grow up was kinda boring- the only thing that changed on him as he grew was that his blaze got a little narrower.
    watching Destin (biblue) - his nose is getting more black spots but that's about all for him but he's not finished growing up yet...

9. bkzoo

bkzoo Forums Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2014
    Wisconsin
    Your dogs are all beautiful! And you're making me rethink agility - looks like Cranberry really enjoys it.

10. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    thank you
    Cranberry and Dixie have a great time with agility:yes:
    Jocu and Destin are in the early learning stages....