Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Strangest color I have ever seen in a sable

Discussion in 'Sheltie Colors' started by Sheltie.Mama, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  2. Justicemom

Justicemom Forums Celebrity

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    You have no way of knowing if she is tri factored or bi factored. Unless she produces a bi down the line sometime.

You do know her parents are Sable-bi factored and Tri factored-bi factored with a merle gene because they produced a biblack. But for your puppy-she got the sable gene from her mom and either a bi gene or a tri gene from her dad. You have no way of knowing which one she got. Now if her dad was a bi then you would know.

For example, Ember is a bi blue. Her mom was bi factored sable(her dad was a bi black so we knew this), her dad a blue merle. There were no bi colored dogs in the sires' pedigree except 3 generations back there was a bi blue dog. No bi at all since except that one dog. Everyone thought he would only produce tri factored puppies. Nope wrong 2 bi blues in Embers litter so you never know.

3. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    I thought we were talking about the mom and not the puppy:winkgrin:

4. Justicemom

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    I thought we were talking about the color of Shay. Tri or BI factored? If we are talking the mom yeah she is bi factored. Shay, you don't know.

5. sable

sable Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2008
    Yes and I own her, Lil' Lady. Looks like my girl except that thin white stripe on her face goes down further.

Sable and mahogeny.

Sire a tri, dam a sable.

6. Justicemom

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    Fun discussion:smile2:

Here is a picture that shows it is almost impossible to tell a Tri factored Sable from a Bi factored sable without neither knowing the genetics behind the dogs or knowing what they produced.

One of these dogs has a Bi black sire and one of them has a bi factored Tri Sire. The sitting one is a male 4 yrs old(in the picture), the one laying down is female 2 yrs old. Which is one is the Tri factored one? which one is Bi factored?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...26070533.10493.100001978188328&type=3&theater

7. missjenneygirl

missjenneygirl Forums Enthusiast

Aug 20, 2009
    connecticut
    I'm going to guess, but you are right, this could go either way, not knowing the true genetics behind them.
    The dog sitting is the tri-factored , and the bitch is the bi-factored.

8. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL

I agree but I'm pretty sure that Diva had bi puppies so that makes it likely that her mom would be bi factored too.....
    and I think it was mentioned somewhere that Justice is tri factored but you certainly couldn't tell just by looking:winkgrin:

9. Jess041

Jess041 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    Ok I cheated, but Justice is the bi-factored one. I couldn't help myself.. had to know! lol

10. Justicemom

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    Cheater...:biggrin2:

Yes Justice the sitting one is Bi factored. His dad is a bi black.

Hope is Diva's mom. She never had had a bi puppy just Tri but that didn't rule her out as bi factored. Diva never have a Bi puppy when breed twice to bi colored dogs and once to a bi facotred blue merle. -14 puppies SO the odds went up that Diva was Tri/Tri. However her Sable sister had a Tri when bred to a BI and that sealed. Hope is Tri factored.