Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Sad news day :(

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by trini, Nov 30, 2013.

1. missjenneygirl

missjenneygirl Forums Enthusiast

Aug 20, 2009
    connecticut
    Trini,

Thank you for your kind words. I really needed to hear that to put the whole issue into perspective.:hugs

I send a hug to your friends also....

2. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Forums Sage

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    My heart just breaks when I hear of things like this. I know how close Liam was - another day and it would have been a different story.

We all have the if onlies. I do with Noah - what if, if I had only. We live with the :cry:regrets - they make us wiser in how we deal with things.

I can only stress - know your dogs well: how are they when they are well and compare it to how they act when they are sick. That is the only thing that triggered with Liam - he wasn't acting quite himself. The vet stated that I knew my dogs and knew when something was off. I didn't have to push. Unfortunately there are vets that we have to push - no reflection on their care, it is just that we know our furkids much better than they do.

Hugs to you and your friends and to you too Connie. It is difficult to lose someone at any time, but this time of the year makes it increasingly difficult and sad.

3. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    Gloria, I am so sorry for the loss of your Billy. No matter how many years pass, the "missing" never goes away.

But you are right...we are always incredibly blessed to have one of these precious souls share in our life even if not for as long as we wished they could be with us.

Trini

4. Tabitha

Tabitha Forums Enthusiast

Apr 5, 2013
    Lubbock, Texas
    I have to many "what if's" and "if only's" about Dixie. "If only I hadn't rehomed her," is the bigest one. If I hadn't rehomed her she wouldn't have been sick, she wouldn't have almost died, she wouldn't have emotional difficulties, she wouldn't have life long health issues, and she wouldn't have suffered the loss of her son, Noah. But the one I'm trying to say the most is "What if I hadn't gotten her back?" She would have been gone weeks ago without a chance of survival. I'm so grateful for every day I have with her, and to all the members here at SN that have helped and encouraged us both.

5. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    Tab, Dixie is alive and getting stronger every day...and she is loved and knows it. That is ALL that matters!!!!! :)

Trini

6. missjenneygirl

missjenneygirl Forums Enthusiast

Aug 20, 2009
    connecticut
    We all rejoice in Dixie's homecoming. It helps to lessen the pain of our own guilt, that it worked out the very best it could for Dixie.

7. xerospin

xerospin Forums Enthusiast

Dec 11, 2010
    Taiwan
    I'm so sorry to hear about your friends losing their dogs. I can also relate to the what ifs. What if I actually left Astro in a kennel instead of my friend.maybe he wouldn't have been lost that polish winter.... Sometimes caring too much can do the opposite, that's what I learned. Many people much more irresponsible about their pets, no microchip, no leash still have their dogs. Yet I lost mine.

It just isn't fair sometimes....

8. mcemily

mcemily Forums Enthusiast

Aug 27, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    So sorry for your friends' losses. Losing a beloved pet (especially a Heart Dog) is always a heartbreaking and tragic event... but when it is both unexpected, and also the result of a misdiagnosis... that must magnify the pain (and the guilt/"what if") even more.

Your friends did the very best they could for their dogs, with the information (and diagnosis) available to them. As hard as it is to accept "I did my best" when it comes to loss, I truly hope your friends are able to make their peace with themselves over this. The pain of loss is bad enough, without the added layer of guilt slapped on top.

9. Tagg

Tagg Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    Brantford, On
    You know what they say about hindsight?? Since dogs can't say what they are experiencing a vet has to make a call on what they are seeing and what information they are being given by the dog's owner. Some owners are better at it than others and some vets are better at pulling the information out. It's not that different with people medicine except people can say - my stomach hurts when I........ or I'm finding it hard to breathe etc. I just lost a friend on Tuesday, 58 years old, to a sudden and massive heart attack in his sleep. He had no history of heart issues and lived a very clean and healthy lifestyle. Did his doctor ever check his cholesterol levels? Maybe not. Should he have done one? Maybe so. Can you call him negligent? You want to but the truth is, both George and his doctor should have been proactive about checking this. We will miss this "life of the party" man and his wife is devastated. The important thing is we have all learned something. Never leave it up to one medical professional to have all the answers or to recommend valuable base line testing. If you think the diagnosis for either your pet or your family may be incorrect, seek another opinion.

10. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    Your friends did the very best they could for their dogs, with the information (and diagnosis) available to them. As hard as it is to accept "I did my best" when it comes to loss, I truly hope your friends are able to make their peace with themselves over this. The pain of loss is bad enough, without the added layer of guilt slapped on top.[/QUOTE]

I hope they can too, Charlotte. I think they will in time understand that these deaths were not "their fault"...it won't take away the heartbreak of the losses, but it will lighten the guilt they have taken on themselves.

Thank-you for caring.

Trini