Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

The Little Red Caboose Has Pulled Into The Station!

Discussion in 'Fuzzy Photo Updates' started by Mom2Melli, Jun 27, 2014.

1. Watson's Mom

Watson's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Mar 24, 2012
    You could always use your bathroom scale--- weigh yourself, then weigh yourself holding the pup. The difference being the pup's weight. I do this to check my cats' weights.

2. bkzoo

bkzoo Forums Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2014
    Wisconsin
    I tried that right after we brought him home. It was exactly 5lbs difference, which my husband thought was too heavy. 2 days later at his first vet visit he weighed in at 3lbs 2oz. So...my bathroom scale is funky. Maybe time to buy a new one?

3. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    I used to have my husband hold the shepherd to weight but found a sit stay worked great. Melli, same thing, my scale is spot on in a sit/stay. Cubby at the vet was exactly what I weighed him at home too.

Yes, he is really light for that weight. He came with a belly full of worms which were removed on 7/12. Next time I go in I will have a re-do fecal to make sure there is not something else. Since then I have also upped his food and he is gaining fast. He is very tall and rangy rather than short and plump. From above he used to dip in on the sides, now more of a straight line. He does not have any extra plumpness but he also now has padding on the ribs.

4. Watson's Mom

Watson's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Mar 24, 2012
    Man, I wish my scale was weighing me two pounds heavy! But no, sadly my cats always end up being right where my scale says they are. Rats!!

5. Mom2Melli

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    You know, my Quasar was beyond special. Heart like a black hole of love, old soul filled with nothing but kindness, not the brightest bulb on the string but loved people with something so rare and wonderful. Hol was a pistol and wired to bite first and ask questions later. Mayson was distant but rock solid and amazing like a bodyguard always detached but always protective and accepting of anything or anyone I would throw at him. Shay is intuitive and sensitive but it is painful how scared of the world he is and just breaks my heart to watch him try to navigate outside our safe home. Melli is very different. My opinionated, loving, dominant, very smart girl who did everything I asked but longed for nothing more than a soft pillow to lay on in a home and a plate of food. I brought her home a year ago this week, and I think she deserves that soft bed and peace after who knows what life she led before me, clearly being a brood momma and speaking Spanish, and for her working SO hard at dog school and the CGC.

Cubby, well, he is still so young, but he is entirely different from anything I have had. I can't wait to see what adult personality he develops into and I have plans and more plans for him. He seems quirky, like the guy with a great sense of humor who likes to be the life of the party. I can't wait to start working him and watching his mind mature formally. The best part is he can look any way he comes. It's the fun personality I am excited about. I am looking for the little road warrior to have some fun with it, and he's working on it, we are growing up. Soon. We will be leashed on the world soon enough, Bat Sheltie and side-kick Cara.

6. MissyGallant

MissyGallant Forums Enthusiast

Dec 20, 2011
    Clara was a year old before she reached ten pounds. I guess I've just got a tiny one.

7. Mom2Melli

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Cubby has the most delightful dorsal stripe at this time. I always liked buckskin horses and now I have sort of a buckskin dog at least at this time. Still the dark mask all the way down and ears JUST barely tipped.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  8. bkzoo

bkzoo Forums Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2014
    Wisconsin
    Buckskins were always my favorites too. It'll be fun to see how Cubby grows to his adult coloring.

9. Mom2Melli

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Here's Cubby at a couple days short of 13 weeks. He is huge. He is about the same size as my shepherd was at this age. Whatever. Big is good. Ears still tipped just the littlest bit.

Yes, new bigger collar! Has now outgrown TWO! It's a Keepsafe Breakaway. I really like it and feel good about leaving it on crated.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
  10. Mom2Melli

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    2nd shot visit. We threw up on the way down and drooled on the way back necessitating a quicky bath when we got home. I live on 20 minutes of really winding roads. I hope he grows out of it! We had the 6 n 1 (lepto is a good idea since we go to our local mountains all the time and lepto IS documented there). We had bordatella. We got microchipped!

We are 13-1/2 inches, 10 pounds 6 ounces, 2 days short of 13 weeks. We have clear ears, good eyes, a great sounding heart, good feeling hips and shoulders, and wait for it . . . BOTH testicles.

We are doing MUCH better with pottying with no recent accidents and we even alerted that we needed to go out at grandma's house!

We have sit, down, sit-from-down, stand, down-from-stand, paw (low or high), and touch, as well as come, house, pee, poo, and often leave it. We need stay and heel. Soon, real soon.

It is FINALLY getting easier. August 29th we are set FREEEEE to walk anywhere, to travel anywhere, and to begin our training. Can't wait!