Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Grooming for allergies

Discussion in 'Grooming' started by margsheltie, Apr 9, 2014.

1. margsheltie

margsheltie Forums Regular

Dec 19, 2009
    Allergies are bothersome to my girl Sadie. Weeping eyes are her most obvious symptom. Our daily walks encounter everything that is currently blooming here in Georgia. All that pollen is ending up on my bed and now I am getting stuffed up. I have been giving her an herbal blend, Herbsmith Clear AllerQi since mid March and that has started to help. Any grooming tips on managing this? Washing my bed linens often has helped. Sadie got a bath one week ago and I trimmed her feet and legs. And have been using a saline product to rinse her eyes. Once I get her cleaned up, I will feel better too. Thanks so much.

2. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Perhaps wiping her coat with a damp cloth after she's been outside?

3. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    I agree with Chris. You can even use a baby wet wipe for sensitive skin that's free of perfumes or dyes and run it over her fur when she comes in, or twice a day. That might help reduce the pollen she's carrying.

4. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    How about a blow-out with a hair dryer on the cool setting if she did not get wet and pollen is just laying in the fur and not stuck there? You could do that on a porch or in the garage or a mud room maybe?