Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Monster Sheltie

Discussion in 'Behavior' started by Spazzy Jazzy, Nov 23, 2014.

1. Spazzy Jazzy

Spazzy Jazzy Forums Regular

Jun 22, 2014
    Ogden, UT
    My dog has become a monster. Granted, it's partially her age (just turned 1 year old) but there are some things she's doing now that I can't handle much longer.

#1 - Turning her back on me when I give her a command. Seriously?
    #2 - Watching me in the mirrors or windows. When I do finally get her to lie down and stay, as soon as she sees me go back to my homework, she pops up and wanders.
    #3 - Knocking my phone out of my hand, hopping on the bed and pushing the laptop over the side, turning on the Xbox or popping open the cd/dvd tray, etc...
    #4 - Bullying Belle in the forms of: sitting on her face while she's sleeping, grabbing her feet and pulling her everywhere, pushing her up against a wall and biting ears/feet/nose...

Oh my goodness! She's driving me nuts! My brother and I exercise her regularly with walks and general playtime and she's an amazingly spoiled dog. Perhaps too spoiled? I worried so much about us not bonding when I brought her home that I may have made her too dependent upon my attention.

Suggestions, please? I hate kenneling my animals while I'm home, but I'm at a complete loss. Every command I give her has to be followed up with a stern "Now" before she'll consider it.

2. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    I know it must be frustrating, but you gotta laugh - she really is a diva!

Nothing in Life is Free (NILIF, aka Learn to Earn). You can do a search on Sheltie Forums as it's been discussed before. It teaches impulse control, manners and respect. The idea is she has to do something for you before she gets what she wants - eg, drop for food, shake to go outside, drop for a pat or play. You tell her the behaviour you want.

I used this approach with Tully, who was also a diva youngster - she didn't just turn her back, she'd even leave the room when I was talking to her. Now she is the best mannered sweetest dog you could meet. The dogs actually do enjoy it once they work out what is expected - remember Shelties are a working dog so value working to get something. It's usually us who feel guilty or get slack.

3. Mignarda

Mignarda Forums Enthusiast

Jan 17, 2013
    Dover, Delaware
    In addition to NILIF you mustn't forget AHC. Actions Have Consequences. I used this on my children, and never had a problem with them.

4. danisgoat

danisgoat Moderator

Jul 23, 2009
    NJ
    My puppy is a monster too. He is 7 months. Everyday is a work in progress. I am allowed to bring dogs to my office with me, and this week will be my first time bringing him in because he is such a little monster. We'll see how it goes. I am working on the Nothing In Life is Free. My girls were ANGELS!!!! I love my Oreo, but he is such a smart whip....he outsmarts me every five minutes. Gotta love these teenagers (NOT):eek2:

5. mimiretz

mimiretz Forums Enthusiast

Oct 14, 2014
    denver
    Could it be that she considers the word "Now" part of the command?

6. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    Shelby was the same way. She is so smart and can easily manipulate you to get what she wants.

I am good at just ignoring her when she is whining/crying etc. but she can be very persistent and DH eventually gives in. So she has him wrapped around her little paw.

In our nose work classes she would always bark when put in her crate, and I would try to treat her for being quiet etc. Didn't work, and she would bark then entire hour! This class It is just myself and another Sheltie we have been training with a long time, so she gets it. I said that we just need to ignor Shelby and she will eventually understand that the barking will get her nothing. And surprisingly this was our third week and she barked/whined a little in the crate at first then got quiet and laid down. I am just glad everyone was understanding and helped me by not paying any attention to her when she was barking.

I agree with the NILIF. If Shelby is barking she does not get to come out and do odor work. If she is quiet she can come out and search.

7. Spazzy Jazzy

Spazzy Jazzy Forums Regular

Jun 22, 2014
    Ogden, UT
    I will have to work harder on the NILIF. She doesn't get treats without performing a command, doesn't get to go out to potty or be fed until she sits calmly. Most of the time she behaves really well, we play and run around so she wears out her energy, but then it's time for her to relax quietly while I do homework. That's when the holy terror comes out. I have so many toys and treats for her to choose from, but she figures out all the mind-working ones within minutes and isn't challenged by them after the first try. I love her dearly but I still don't know how to work with her. All my other dogs were quite happy to entertain themselves until I could give them all my attention again. Not this little girl. Lol.

8. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I had similar problems with my Laddie. Sometimes I think when they are really smart dogs you can get these unwanted behaviors. I had lost my previous sheltie female and was over compensating on love when I got Laddie.

One thing that really helped is NOT letting him sleep on the bed with me. I noticed a difference in his behavior immediately. No longer was he able to feel he was the alpha over me! Seems like a small thing but had a big impact for me. :yes:

9. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    I know it is difficult but completely ignore her when it is time to settle down. I know if Shelby gets in a "needy" mood when it is time to settle we just ignore her completely and then she realizes she is not going to get any attention and then she will go lay down or chew a bone. I know they can be very,very,very persistent but you must outlast them.

We were taught in class to reward when they are doing what we want them to do. So when she is settled then pet her, talk to her, play with her etc. This will help teach her that "settling" gets your attention, and bugging you gets no attention.

10. Justicemom

Justicemom Forums Celebrity

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    I can take Celtic to work as well. I started when he was 4-5 months. Seriously I was shocked he was so good. He was a monster at home.:lol: Everyone commented on what an angel he was. Snort! That was part of his evil genius.

Flash forward to 8 months and he is a pretty good pupmost days and his temper tantums are rare. But then he goes to some type of training class(obedience, agility, conformation) 3 times a week so he better be.:wink2:

BTW both my girls were demons as puppies. My boys all were 1000x easier. Ember was surly and could have care less what I thought and Diva bounced off walls with ADD. We just kept working on manners and skills and with time things got better. Both are great dogs. Biggest thing ignore the behaviors you don't want and reward what you do and dont let her demand things from you.