Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Peanut butter ~ toxic?!

Discussion in 'Treats & Supplements' started by 2GoodDogs, Nov 24, 2014.

1. 2GoodDogs

2GoodDogs Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    I read an article today about how bad peanut butter is for the dogs! Yikes! :eek2:

It was my go-to for kongs, treats and to keep a puppy quiet during class.

2. Jess041

Jess041 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    Hmm can you provide a source for the article? I think we would all be in big trouble if that was true. Lots of dog treats and such come in peanut butter flavor!

3. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    I, too, would like to see this article and know what legit studies, if any, are behind the author's conclusion that PB is dangerous for dogs.

PB can be toxic for a dog who has peanut allergies just as a human with peanut allergies...and it may cause itchiness, rash and ear infections in allergic dogs. Using the most natural PB available is recommended since most of the big commercial brands are high in added fat and sugar. But for most dogs I think PB is a perfectly safe treat.

Trini

4. susanmccain

susanmccain Forums Enthusiast

Jan 27, 2013
    London, Ohio
    I would like to see the article also...though my 2 don't get an excessive amount...it is their favorite treat.

5. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    My understanding is the issue with peanut butter is not the 'peanut' part, it's the 'butter'. It has extremely high levels of fat, too high for the average dog. But like chocolate for humans, in moderation there isn't really a problem.

6. Silaria

Silaria Forums Sage

Sep 19, 2008
    Aspinwall, PA
  7. Justicemom

Justicemom Forums Celebrity

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    Celtic says see I knew it was evil!

Never heard this. Do you have the article would love to read it. Btw Ember should be dead if its true.

8. tofu pup

tofu pup Moderator

Aug 28, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    I see three claims. Two of them are common sense (there has been quite a bit of press on the dangers of trans fats, and I think the dog owners who read this forum are smart enough to select no-sugar-added peanut butter for their dogs).

The third is based on the speculation of a single (human) doctor who makes his living not by seeing patients, but by selling ideas (and vitamin supplements!).

No peer-reviewed studies, no actual science, but plenty of scare tactics and hokum.

If you are personally concerned about feeding your dogs peanut butter, then of course avoid it; there are alternatives available. But this article just doesn't pass the sniff test.

As an extra-bonus funny, here's a quote I just lifted from the exact same Andrew Weil post that the author cherry-picked from:

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
  9. Prince's Boy

Prince's Boy Forums Regular

Nov 19, 2013
    Pikeville Ky
    My Prince loved peanut butter. Any time I made my protein drinks he always got a little. I also always let him lick the empty jars while I held it for him. I noticed anytime I did this he got sick the next day. It may have been coincidence but after the second time I didn't let him have any more.

10. Sullivan

Sullivan Forums Enthusiast

May 29, 2013
    Florida
    Bambi too loved peanut butter and loved Ritz Crackers, so I would buy those little quarter sized ones and that was our evening treat, I think I gave her 6, about twice a month. No problems!