Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

8 months old and in heat! Please advice!

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by alonsoe, Nov 22, 2014.

1. ClantyreSheltie

ClantyreSheltie Forums Sage

Feb 24, 2010
    Baltimore
    Not entirely. It would after several days, but I've heard of them tying a bitch after being neutered within 48 hours and having a resulting litter.

Bottom line is that one of them needs to be crated and away for the entire time, plus three days. So 24 days total, at least. My bitches tend to come in for longer than 21 days, so it depends.

2. EJHUNTL

EJHUNTL Forums Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2013
    Ontario, Grand Bend
    Seemed like a good solution to me - if he needs to be crated anyways, why not take advantage of the opportunity to get him fixed. He'll need to be kept quiet for a few days - can't think of a better time. While at the vet I'd also book a spay for a month from now and that will take care of the issue for the
    future as well. Having an intact male & female pair in a busy family seems like asking for a lot of trouble to me, unless you're really willing to take all the necessary precautions to keep them separate for 100% of the duration of a heat cycle. Given hubby's nonchalant attitude - I think without a spay and/or neuter puppies are the likely outcome of this situation. If not this time then the next.

3. alonsoe

alonsoe Forums Enthusiast

Jun 20, 2014
    Spain
    Thanks to all! You have gave me good ideas but not all fits to me. Crate them is not in my mind, I can keep them in different rooms and the result I think is the same, but they will cry for being separated...they have been always toghether...they miss each other much than other thing.

In fact when we are at the living room they stay in each sofa calmed or sleeping by the moment...so I think the male doesn't have the instinct of breeding yet, but I don't trust in him 100%, he will change in a moment or so I think...but he is still quite puppy.

I don't want him to be with the breeder because she is 350 km far away from us, and I want to have him close.

I want them to have puppies in the future, but not now, she is so much young, definetly not before 2 years more. I'll wait for the best moment for them and for our family. The breeder knows it, and why I bought a male and after a female...

I can't fix the male for two reasons, one is that I have in contract that he will breed with a female of the breeder, and another is that I want to show him in the near future.

This is the firs heat of the female and I want it go on naturally, but for the next time I'm planning to give her hormones and the next to breed....and the same to the other times....

If things get worse I'll leave the male in my parents house, perhaphs I will go there too....but we would keep the carpets away for a short time :rolleyes2:

Thanks a lot to all for your good advises :smile2:

4. ClantyreSheltie

ClantyreSheltie Forums Sage

Feb 24, 2010
    Baltimore
    Stay away from hormones. Nothing good comes from messing with mother nature. However, if you can find it, you can give her Chlorophyl tablets from the moment she comes in season. It helps to keep the smell down, which can help the boys cope.

5. alonsoe

Jun 20, 2014
    Spain
    Thanks, I'll look for that pills at the vet or in the pet shop. I want to help them to be calmed and if they don't I'll definitly separate them taking the male to my parent's home... I don't want see them so much unconfortable, they are my little babys and I love them so much :hugs

6. Hanne

Hanne Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    It will be a very good solution to bring him to your parents.

When she is most fertile, he will lose his brain totally - and it's not nice to look at, because he will be so unhappy whether he will be shut away from her or she will be shut away from him.

He will be so restless - You will get so sorry for him.

7. alonsoe

Jun 20, 2014
    Spain
    The last thing I want is to see them suffer :no:

You could be sure that if I see him bad I'll do whatever he need, I would even leave my home and go with him to my parent's house, he can't be without us neither....he is my beloved dog!!

The female will be at home with the rest of the family...she is more shy and doesn't accept to be touched for other people except her own family :hide

Today they are more used to be separated and weren't nervous while the day. Perhaphs I hadn't been training them to be alone...and now I suffer the consequencies...:(

I walk them separately, so in the morning I spend two hours or more walking them, and my husband has help in the afternoon because my children are at home. We still walk them 4 times in a day each one...

But I think that things are going well by this moment....if something change, I'll do whatever I have to do.

8. JacqueZ

JacqueZ Forums Enthusiast

Oct 4, 2012
    Akron, Ohio
    Be careful keeping them apart. Once she's fully in heat the male will try anything to get to them, to the point of hurting himself.

My moms male Bichon actually got his mouth stuck in a cage, trying to work the lock, we had to remove the door and take him and it to vet to get it cut off, it could easily have landed him with a neck injury, knocked out teeth...any number of problems.

9. Hanne

Hanne Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Great to hear that you will do what he will need.
    For it will be your little boy who will suffer the most.

There is light ahead. :lol:
    Next term will go much easier, as you have been through it all.

Do yourself a favour, write the female cycle down, there can be considerable variation in when they will mate.

(My German Shepherd would pair of the 10 -11. day when the normal is actually 14 to 16 and even later.)

(sorry my English)

10. alonsoe

Jun 20, 2014
    Spain
    Hi to all, I just want to tell that my littles are OK now. They have been suffering more for the separation than for the hormones.

I keep them in different rooms but we allow them stay toghether at the living room while we are watching them. There are always 4 eyes at least waching them!:eek2::eek2:

I spend all the day walking the dogs....the neigbours ask worried for "the other" when they see me walking only one...and I have to explain (the heat of the female and our new routine) this to eveyone! :lol: