Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Swimmer Puppy Syndrome- NO MORE

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by MissyGallant, Jun 11, 2014.

1. MissyGallant

MissyGallant Forums Enthusiast

Dec 20, 2011
    Hi All,

I want to share our home's victory. A MAJOR victory. One of Tara's puppies (Katy) didn't develop right. She wound up laying on her tummy too much, and was unable to get her feet under her. So she got to the border of swimmer puppy. We made a brace for her chest and braces for her legs, and got her onto egg crate foam immediately. Two weeks later, and we can't catch her. Yesterday, she discovered a toy elephant that she carried through the living and dining room so fast that I couldn't get a picture of her other than a blur. Her humans were there for physical therapy. But she doesn't even need that anymore. And her brother Sherman will be there with her forever because as her female human was working with her, her male human was falling head over heels for her brother. And we finally got Annabelle to realize they aren't her puppies, so she isn't growling at the other dogs (including their actual mom) anymore. Victory 2!

2. bkzoo

bkzoo Forums Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2014
    Wisconsin
    What happy news!

3. Sheltie.Mama

Sheltie.Mama Forums Enthusiast

Dec 25, 2013
    Montana
    Good job! I am so proud of that little puppy! That's so sweet!:biggrin2:

4. Sullivan

Sullivan Forums Enthusiast

May 29, 2013
    Florida
    WTG MissyGallant and Katy, that is awesome news. This brought a tear to my eye because I have seen puppies born this way before and stayed stuck this way because no one would take the time and effort to rehabilitate the baby.

5. MissyGallant

MissyGallant Forums Enthusiast

Dec 20, 2011
    The breeder who is mentoring us had two puppies about twenty years ago, and she was able to give me the name. The three vets in our practice had never seen it, so we were on you tube looking for help. The Boston terrier Mick helped us a lot. We found out about the egg crate foam- which is ESSENTIAL! And the chest brace idea came from a video somewhere in the far East. The only word we could understand was Akita. But the video was very detailed, and we stole the idea. It is basically that the brace is round and somewhat padded, but since it is round, the chest can not lie flat against it. And we rolled her on her back and massaged her legs, and made her do bicycles. And if she fought, we let her fight because that is using those muscles. She and Sherman were both big puppies for us. As in- more than twice the weight of their mom at birth, so we think maybe her muscles just needed to catch up with her size. But she is all go and play now, BABY! And trust me- no one will ever put her in a corner. She is 2 lbs of pure attitude.

6. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Wow awesome news. So glad the baby is up, running, and having some attitude! Congrats on a job well done. That pup will have a normal life now - doesn't get better than that.

7. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    That is amazing! You should blog this or youtube this so others can be inspired to take the time and give great lives to great little souls.

Such a victory to cheer!