Go Back   Sheltie Forums > Breed Handling > The Sheltie Standard
Become a Premium Member Rules Support Sheltie Nation Member Map

View First Unread View First Unread  
Old Jul 30, 2014, 08:10 AM
Default 5 fingers in the back legs

Hello, I have two shelties and one of them have a 5th finger in his back legs
I wonder if anybody knows if it is ok for the standard or not. I want to show this dog in a ring in the future.....

Could someone give me some information about it?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 30, 2014, 10:26 AM

I don't show shelties so haven't got immediate access to the standard. Look it up and see what it says about rear dew claws. That is what that "5th finger" is.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 12:07 PM

might be different in Spain but the AKC standard -no rear dewclaws
Old Apr 30, 2015, 05:08 PM

Dew claws can be removed for that "cleaner look" or perhaps because one got caught on brush (or in the case of one of my previous Samoyeds--the carpet). Some breeders routinely remove dew claws with a nail clipper on pups born with dew claws--some breeders don't have to--some veterinaries do surgery to remove dew claws on older pups with dew claws and on some breeds it doesn't matter (even concerning showing in different countries.)
Old May 1, 2015, 03:14 AM

Here in Denmark it is absolutely forbidden to remove the claw, unless the dog is hurt.
Minnie my 1. Sheltie (tricolor - born 10 July 14)
before her 5 lovely dogs
Excuse my bad English
Old May 6, 2015, 05:41 PM

Rear dew claws are a fault in the show ring. They can have a front dew claw though.
Old May 7, 2015, 04:30 PM

Sparrow has both rear dew claws, as she is a working cocker she will never enter a show ring, but I have been advised to have them removed because they may snag when she does agility.

There is a lot of debate as to why some dogs are born with rear dew claws, no one seems to quite know their purpose. They are generally unattached to the main structure of the foot except by tissue, so are not of particular use. Though some argue if the rear dew claws are in a position where they touch the ground the dog may use them for balance and removing them could cause them to adjust their running style.

I have read they are a vestigial toe from the days of early dogs or wolves who needed to climb terrain regularly.
Sophie, owned by
Merlin (Blue Merle) 17/12/2010 [Shelridge The Magician]
Cadbury (Chocolate Labrador) 3/02/2008 [Poolehall Cadbury Choc]
Sparrow (Liver and white, English Cocker Spaniel) 6/04/2014 [Sophs Miracle Magic Minion]
Old May 7, 2015, 07:10 PM

Rear declaws are dominate genetically. If breeders want to get rid of them but don't want to remove them then don't breed a dog born with rear dewclaws. It's that simple once it is gone it is gone unless reintroduced. On the flip side if you double up the gene you get doubles

Of course, there are more import things to breed for then lack of rear claws. So to just breed for that would be silly. But I am lucky Grizz is a non carrier and I think alot of AOACs are too at least in the lines we work with because I have not removed a rear dewclaw in forever. We don't remove fronts per breeder option.
Dr. Shelli
At the bridge -UCH UAGII Diva CDX MX MXJ OF RA
Old May 8, 2015, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by labgirl View Post

I have read they are a vestigial toe from the days of early dogs or wolves who needed to climb terrain regularly.
That's what I have seen in internet, and also that are an evidence of the remains of the race and the dogs that have rear claws are more "pure" or ancestral than others. They are admited in the ring for some breeds (not for all, I don't know why). Here in Spain are allowed for shelties in the ring, so it doesn't worry me nowadays.

My breeder have a very good reputation in Europe so I don't doubt it's correct, and in fact she wants to breed with my male (I have it in a contract).

Thanks to all for your suggestions and opinions, although it has been so long since I opened the thread