Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

First Week

Discussion in 'Fuzzy Photo Updates' started by trini, Mar 13, 2014.

1. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    The first week when you bring a new puppy home is always special. Faelee was 8 weeks old when she joined our family and as usual our big collie boy, Kinnon, took over the role of always patient and gentle babysitter for our wee newbie.

Faelee adored Kinnon from the moment they met...and 3+ years later he still serves as her mentor, her protector and the one who sets her straight when she gets out of line...which is quite often! LOL

These are pics that I love from that first week...note poor Kinnon's "Can I apply for Sainthood yet?" expression in the 3rd pic.

I hope others will share pics of their pup's first week with them...

Trini

Attached Files:

2. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    These pictures are precious, Trini! You're right, I love the third one. I see that look here a lot these days from my four when the puppy terrorist is after them! :hide

Faelee and Kinnon are both gorgeous!

3. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    While my puppy was not a sheltie - - my story is the same. We got the little bugger 6 weeks after we lost our beloved blue merle Aussie Quasar. We were hurting, beyond belief.

The puppy raising part was easy -- I crated, we pottied a lot, and we played outside and in the non-carpeted parts of the house. We had a vet visit and began treating for every worm/parasite known to dog-dom. He was an easy and good puppy though. My big old ginormous Aussie Mayson was wonderful with the pup and very very tolerant. I am so thankful for that.

Emotionally -- I told everyone who would listen I would have given anything to have Quay back. I rolled my eyes at the vet when she congratulated me on my new little one. I told her it would be my husband's dog I missed my boy, I will never love again quite like that. Then, about 4 days into the venture, I was home alone holding the puppy watchng National Velvet of all movies, and I just lost it. I started crying for my boy missing him so much. Little Shay started licking my face and whining and wiggling and just was so concerned I was upset. It was that moment I let him in. I truly let him into my heart and I began to heal.

That was my first week with my puppy.

My advice for anyone getting a puppy or dog after a loss, let them in. They are not replacing your angel, they are a whole different kind of love to help you laugh and feel a new joy and forge a new special loving relationship. They are with you for a reason.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
  4. Judyg

Judyg Premium Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Riverside, Ca.
    I'm so glad to see those pictures with an adult dog and a new baby.We will be adding a sheltie puppy in June (hopefully) and my biggest concern is how my (now) only dog will react. I'm hoping he will be just as loving as your dogs are. I'm actually pretty sure he will be as he loves our two grand daughters when they come over.

5. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    I think the most important thing to remember when combining a non-stop energy pup with an adult is that the adult needs to still have times to him/her self without being pestered. And any pup needs time out to rest, even if they don't think they do! LOL

Faelee had specific crate nap times everyday...good for her to have a chance to calm down and VERY much appreciated by our adult doggies. Also it is really important to still spend one on one time with each dog every day. A special time when you do something that dog really loves to do.

You must be getting so excited...June is only 3 months away now!!!

Trini

6. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    Faelee and Kinnon thank you for the compliment.

But, Ann, that "puppy terrorist" you mention couldn't possibly be the "oh so innocent" looking Ms. Ruffles! LOL

Trini

7. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    So true...

Trini

8. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    I definitely agree the older dogs need some puppy-free time. Shay spent time crated while I worked and Mayson had sleep time at my feet like always. There were play tmes together inside and then wild romps outside too. As Shay got older the crate was gone but there was baby gate and I would send Mayson out to have nap time alone which he appreciated as by that time his cancer was apparent and advancing. I also started taking Shay out on his own for adventures and training and left Mayson home resting.

9. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    I agree about puppy nap time and puppy-free time for the big dogs. We have dedicated nap times here too (for the dogs, not me, unfortunately :rolleyes2: ) and it works well.

One thing I so love about having a puppy is how it rejuvenates the older dogs. Our two 7-year-olds play like puppies again and even 8-year-old Pixie with her arthritis plays chase with Ruffles. Puppies are a real fountain of youth for them!

Yes, Trini...angelic Miss Ruffles has a wild side.... :uhoh:

10. Judyg

Judyg Premium Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Riverside, Ca.
    I'm trying not to allow myself to get too excited just yet. I had a deposit on a litter that didn't happen at the end of last year. Only one puppy was born that the breeder kept, and then some major mis-communication between the breeder and I. Some was my fault and some was the breeder's, but we are on the same page now. He has promised me the female puppy from this future litter no matter if she is a show or a pet puppy.

I'm just in waiting mode right now and crossing my fingers that there will be a little girl in this litter. Once the puppies are born and I know there is one for us I will be excited.