Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Does this seem normal??

Discussion in 'General Health' started by Abby's Dad, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Abby's Dad

Abby's Dad Forums Enthusiast

Sep 16, 2009
    West Granby, CT
    I wanted to keep the threads separate so here goes........

Abby will be 3 in June. In the morning I open her crate and she walks into the kitchen sniffs the floor and walks into the family room to lay down. I get my coffee and take her out which she walks around till she finds her spot to go. Come back in she lays down, waits for breakfast, eats, back to the family room to lay down.

When I get ready to go back out to feed the birds she jumps up, seemingly excited to go out, follows me around for a few minutes , then lays down. This is basically what she will do, follow me around, lay down. No excitement, just seems like she wants to lay down all day.

Late afternoon we go for our walk, the first 200 yards pretty excited, trotting along, sniffing, then she hits a wall and just walks, walks with her head down as if to say ok, i'll do it if I have too.

She is my 3rd sheltie and I have never witnessed this kind of behavior in this breed. I do not think or feel this is normal but I just do not know what to do. So, once again what do i do?

Perhaps this behavior is related to the ears, rash I don't know.

2. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    She sounds exactly like Layla -- emphasis on the LAY! :lol:

3. pixgal

pixgal Forums Enthusiast

Jan 26, 2012
    Beaverton Or.
    Miss Sadie lays around a lot. She's still a baby (6 mo.) but she only gets active when I get active. I must say having her has made me more active.

4. Jess041

Jess041 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    Do you wanna trade? Mine doesn't seem to want to stop moving!

5. Abby's Dad

Sep 16, 2009
    West Granby, CT
    Thanks! this makes me feel better:yes:.....how old is Layla? I will stop being so concerned now.

6. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    I will trade too! Bailey is almost 3 and is still trying to understand the meaning of lay down and sleep. :lol:

Sounds like it is just Abby's personality if she has always been this way. If she just suddenly started acting that way, then I will be worried that she is in some kind of pain or discomfort.

7. Mally's Mom

Mally's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Oct 18, 2009
    Illinois
    Sounds like Abby is more the low-key, lay-back kind of dog.

To tell you the truth, I prefer this kind.

8. Mally's Mom

Mally's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Oct 18, 2009
    Illinois
    That's funny. Love your sense of humor!

9. OntarioSheltie

OntarioSheltie Forums Celebrity

Apr 29, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Sounds perfectly normal to me.

My three are always like that, they lie down and sleep in between periods of play and excitement. :smile2:

10. Abby's Dad

Sep 16, 2009
    West Granby, CT
    There is no "play" for Abby. Its just excitement.