Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

leash that she can't chew

Discussion in 'Clothing, Leashes & Collars' started by Shelby's mom, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    Shelby has this bad habit of chewing through her leash. She is like a pirannah! This is her 3rd retractable leash she chewed through. It is only her retractable leash that she does this to, and she is so fast at it. In a matter of seconds she has the leash in her mouth and chewed! DH says no more retractable leashes but depending on what we are doing I prefer the retractable leash, especially if I want to give her more room to run. I don't know if there is something indestructable out there or if I should just get a cheap one knowing it will only be a matter of time until she sneaks it in her mouth and has to be replaced.

2. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    I know a lot of people on this forum aren't big fans of retractable leashes. They have caused a few deaths and it is difficult to maintain control of your dog.

That being said, if you're looking for a good leash I'd recommend Lupine. They guarantee their leashes, even if chewed (just send them back and they'll send you a replacement!). We've had ours for several years and I think they will last forever.

http://lupinepet.com/

3. 2GoodDogs

2GoodDogs Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    I am a big fan of my Hartz Mountain chain leash. :) It is the only indestruible leash in the house. Have bought fancy leathers, latigo leathers braided and not, have had parachute cord leashes (hey ...where is that purple one?!) and now I own an impressive array of tabs that were once fine leashes...

Then I got smart. Hartz Mountain chain leash is no fun to chew or tug with. :D Alternately, I buy drapery cord and crochet my own show leads - even adding beads to them for fancy. If I forget and leave them crated with leashes on, or unattended for long... that guarantees my supply of tabs.

Have never tried bitter apple, but that could have saved my investment in leather leashes over Bobby's lifetme...

Leashes, collars, grooming brushes - are all expensive addictions to me.

4. k9kreationz

k9kreationz Forums Celebrity

Oct 24, 2008
    It looks like they have flexis too on their site. I wonder if they're guaranteed too.

5. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

I could be wrong, I don't think has anything to do with a flexi leash but more to do with a dog wanting control.

It sounds pretty obvious, but have you tried to get her NOT to chew the leash? I assume this only happens when walking so you are in control of the leash? If your dog starts to chew on it, then you should retract it back to the short leash and into a heal position. Then you correct her and start again. Gradually let the leash out, then stop and do a sit/stay. Praise and move on.

As long as the dog still shews on the long leash, you must keep her in short leash and gradually extended the length.

My tuppence worth.

6. Shelby's mom

Jan 4, 2012
    Thanks everyone. I do not use her retractable leash very often for the reasons mentioned above. But I do like to use it for instance when we take her to play in the creek, then she has more length to play in the water. When we walk I always keep her in the heal position. But she is so quick to get it in her mouth. On Sunday I opted to use it as I knew she would like to run around with my nieces. I had my back to her for only a second as I know she will chew it it, and as I turned around she already had it in her mouth and half chewed through. I do have a regular Lupine leash which I absolutely love and she never even tries to chew that, only the retractable leash. Maybe she doesn't like it pulling on her collar?

Maybe I can find a longer regular leash to use for the times I want to give her more room to play.

7. Lightplum

Lightplum Forums Sage

Jan 4, 2009
    Rhode Island
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  8. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    That's the one I have. It has made it through wind, water, salt and sand--I think I've had it for at least 2 years.

9. Lightplum

Lightplum Forums Sage

Jan 4, 2009
    Rhode Island
    I think mine is atleast 9yr if not older I got it when I was working with my old dog in FL..I really should invest in a new one..it does look kinda ragged :smile2:

10. Shelby's mom

Jan 4, 2012
    Thanks I will have to look for the long leash. I think that might be my better option.