Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

First Show Done and Dusted - Thank Goodness!

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by labgirl, Apr 16, 2012.

1. labgirl

labgirl Forums Sage

Feb 22, 2009
    Suffolk, UK
    We had our first display show of the year on the Easter weekend. This one was for Clicker Obedience and our chance to show off our new tricks and dance. Unfortunately the team had the brilliant idea to change our doggie dance music on the last rehearsal before the show - needless to say that did not help the nerves!

It takes an hour to get to the showground where this event - All About Dogs - was being staged and I went with my friend. We were making good time up until the point when she commented how pleased she was she could do the route now without the sat nav - at which point we got hopelessly lost.

One missed turning at a roundabout and we were stuck on a dual carriageway with my friend panicking like crazy. We ended up in the next town and had to ask directions - thankfully we were only half an hour later than we had planned to get there.

But then the next drama erupted. My friend's new car would not lock. We tried everything we could think of, but in the end had to leave it unlocked in the car park, because nothing would lock it.

Anyway we made it into the showground in time for our first performance. It was ok, but the dogs were distracted and we had a saboteur in the crowd:no: a person with a squeaky toy who refused to take a hint that it was distracting the dogs. We believe she was from another display team, how pathetic!

Our dance was hopeless. The music would not come through loud enough and we all lost time, and Merlin decided he would much rather run off to see his mate Muddles.

We all retreated feeling very despondent.

Well we distracted ourselves by wandering the show, getting a hotdog and cups of tea. The weather was turning. We perform in team t-shirts, but inbetween I was wrapped up in a fleece and raincoat and gloves because I was so cold!

The afternoon show thankfully went much better, mainly because the dogs and handlers had relaxed, I think. Even if my trainer did forget to turn to me for Merlin's tricks and I had to wave and call her over:lol:

We danced much better too.

Unfortunately the weather had taken a serious turn for the worse. We were supposed to be performing the next day as well but with heavy rain and potential storms on the way the team decision was to call it quits.

Still its a start to the season.

Next time it is Cadbury's debut on the Agility Display Team!!!!!!!!:gaah

2. Sumac3890

Sumac3890 Forums Sage

Sep 12, 2008
    Fort Myers, Fl
    What a horrible day. Sorry that she changed the music and you had such a rude person in the crowd. Good luck on the next go round. Did your friend get her car figure out?

3. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    I just saw this post--never a dull moment, eh?

Though at least it sounds like the next go round is likely to go much, much better! :yes:

4. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Wow sitting in the crowd sqeeking a toy. I would be so proud of that win :rolleyes2:

Should have had Cadbury along to go visit them in the crowd.

5. labgirl

labgirl Forums Sage

Feb 22, 2009
    Suffolk, UK
    Yes, things can only get better, I hope! And my friend's car mysteriously started locking again, so who knows?

Now that would have been interesting, but it is his show debut in two weeks! I pray there will be no one with squeaky toys or balls!

My brother was so angry when he heard what had happened, he said if we had been going the next day he would have come just to make sure it didn't happen again.

6. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Despite the jerk and the confoodles, you did a good show!!! We're proud of you and Merlin!!!

7. labgirl

labgirl Forums Sage

Feb 22, 2009
    Suffolk, UK