Go Back   Sheltie Forums > Health > General Health
Become a Premium Member Rules Support Sheltie Nation Member Map

Notices

View First Unread View First Unread  
Old Feb 14, 2014, 07:32 PM

Default Cost of vet care

Sheesh, it's getting more costly to treat a dog than a person these days. Your kid gets pinkeye, I see them, level 3 office visit, $65 charge for uninsured cash pay, script for generic antibiotic, pharmacy charges $10 or less, fluorescein dye strip is included in the exam. My collie has pinkeye, $45 office visit, $25 to stain his eye, $25 for doggie abx.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradt9881 View Post
Sheesh, it's getting more costly to treat a dog than a person these days. Your kid gets pinkeye, I see them, level 3 office visit, $65 charge for uninsured cash pay, script for generic antibiotic, pharmacy charges $10 or less, fluorescein dye strip is included in the exam. My collie has pinkeye, $45 office visit, $25 to stain his eye, $25 for doggie abx.
wow $65 for uninsured im moving to where you are, its $150 here!!! LOL!! So I guess our vet care up here seems pretty cheap relatively speaking..$25 seems kinda steep though to stain the eye...Cant remember what my vet is but it isnt that much. Antibiotics are pretty much the same cost..

But heres the thing Vet offices do not have blue cross reimbursing them or any other insurance. Payments received are what it costs with little overhead added to cover their costs of paying employees, equipment, building fee, and maybe some $$ for the vet to eat with :)
Old Feb 14, 2014, 08:05 PM

Exactly, Linda on the billing. We have to hire a billing company, bill the insurance, and pray they don't deny the claim. Even for those of us with doggie insurance, we pay the vet up front and get reimbursed later. No middle man for the vet, and no payment to a middle man to collect it....
Old Feb 14, 2014, 08:26 PM

Everything has gone screwy in health care, both human and animal; that's for sure. The very idea that with the availability of antibiotics it can cost a person $75 to $200 for pinkeye treatment is just absurd. It's counterintuitive to think that veterinary care should cost more than human care, but when you consider all of the factors that go into pricing for human care, most of which are completely inscrutable, it's not really that surprising.

So far as veterinary care is concerned, I had my first dog treated 40 years ago, and even then, I was astounded at how easily I was fleeced.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 08:37 PM

Don't forget us transcriptionists in your cost factoring (not just the billers & coders)! Just saying. Not feeling like I want to be left out today. I have had terribly hard files today, Neurosurgery, Florida.

As to vets - oh yes. I was out of town and had to see a vet with Melli in September. I was visitng a friend who works for a vet and I got the family discount on my new patient visit and it still was over $100 by the time I was done for a ear yeast infection. On the upside, I have a new favorite vet only 5 hours from home!
Aussies at the Bridge - Quasar (blue merle), Holly (black tri), & Mayson (red tri)
Old Feb 14, 2014, 08:55 PM

The vet is still cheaper than medical doctors without a doubt. My vet charges $65 for a visit and my GP $85, and my GP doesn't have to maintain all the costly equipment that a vet does. Tully's hip replacement surgery and hospital stay is costing me $7,500 (excludes the $2k already spent on x-rays and CT scan and the follow up), a human once costs $36,000 so still a big difference.

That said, I'm at the vet every couple of weeks and reckon I've spent $30,000 on vet bills for the dogs. Thank god the cats are healthy!