Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Greetings from Massachusetts.

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by Jeff, Aug 14, 2014.

1. Jeff

Jeff Forums Regular

Aug 13, 2014
    Massachusetts
    Hello all,

I found this forum while researching which type of puppy to get and now that I've decided on a sheltie I figured I should register and say thanks for all the great info on this board.
    A little about me. I have a family of 4 my wife myself and an 11 year old son and 8 year old daughter. We've always been dog people and for the last 6 years had a rescue pitbull named Thor. We had to have him put to sleep at the end of last month and I stated no more dogs for a while. Was just to heartbroken to loose my buddy but the house is so quiet and honestly bland without a dog there that I decided that my no dog for a year or so idea was a bad one and began looking for a new pup. I love the pit breed but they're a handful and rather large and I'm a renter until next year so they're also difficult to find a place to accept them in the unforeseen circumstance I had to move before a purchase my next home. Anyway with that in mind I decided the next dog was going to be medium to small but not to small and energetic and entertaining. Also a breed that loves its people. I'd looked at a few profiles of breeds and none caught my interest or seemed like a great fit for us. I remembered always enjoying my aunts shelties as a boy and was curious what ever happened to that breed as I used to see them everywhere in the late 80's. So a google search where my wife happened to walk by and say that dog is beautiful we should get one and then some research into the breed and seeing they where a good fit for out family led me to a puppy search. I put my deposit on our new boy last Friday and he'll be home in about 6 weeks. Beyond excited and happy to have a puppy coming into our lives. It's been quite a long time since I've had one as out last three dogs where all rescues.

Today is his two week birthday and the breeder sent me this pic showing how much he's growing. We still haven't picked a name but the list is getting smaller. I can't post attachments here so I'll upload the pic in my next post.

2. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Hi, Jeff, and welcome! Oh, are you going to have fun! And Sheltie Nation is THE place to learn and share about your new little buddy.

May I recommend The Art of Raising a Puppy by The Monks of New Skete. It's available from Amazon, and it's the best book on puppy raising ever!! All mine are Monks puppies -- and everyone comments on how well behaved they are!

3. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    I second Chris' advice on the book (available for Kindle/Kindle reader too!). It really goes through the psychology and development of a puppy and you understand a lot from the easy to read format. The kids can even read it! It's a nice teaching story format. REALLY good book.

Welcome and we can't wait to see your pup. 2014 is the year of sheltie pups for sure.

4. Jeff

Jeff Forums Regular

Aug 13, 2014
    Massachusetts
    I will definitely look into that book. Thanks for the tip. I've been watching Victoria Stilwells series on YouTube also. I've picked up lots and lots of great pointers there. I definitely like her style and approach. My aunt is also a professional agility trainer and does basic training as well so I hope to get a family rate :) and do some work with her as well.
    Here is the pic of my little guy at 2 weeks. While I'd love a blue Merle there are none local and I refuse to put a puppy through flying so bi color was my second choice and she had just one bi boy. I was pretty happy I was first so I could claim him.
    http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo325/JP532003/Mobile%20Uploads/image-1.jpg

5. Jeff

Jeff Forums Regular

Aug 13, 2014
    Massachusetts
    Oh man my spelling in my first post was atrocious and I see no edit button. Please excuse as I've been posting from my iPhone where smartness is not always guaranteed.

6. Jess041

Jess041 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    Congrats on your new puppy! I can't wait to see pictures! You'll find that Shelties are quite different than pitbulls in a lot of ways. A lot more hair means a more grooming requirements! But they are great companions and great family dogs. I got my first Sheltie when I was 8 and she was my best buddy until she passed at almost 16. Of course, when I decided I wanted a dog on my own, I kept finding myself going back to Shelties. I love other breeds of dogs, but I think Shelties are just "my breed".

I think one of the best things about Shelties is they are very versatile as far as activities you can do with them. They excel in many different performance and obedience activities such as agility, rally, obedience, and flyball. Your kids are in for a treat! If they don't want to get involved in all that stuff, Shelties are great companions and are happy to be with their people. They also make great therapy dogs.

Since this is your first Sheltie, I recommend the boy Sheltie Talk. You can get it on Amazon http://amzn.com/157779107X

7. Jess041

Jess041 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    You made a great choice.. bi-blacks are awesome! I might be a little biased though :lol:. Be prepared for people to think your boy is a border collie!

8. bkzoo

bkzoo Forums Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2014
    Wisconsin
    Congrats on your new puppy & welcome to SN. You are going to love it here!

9. susanmccain

susanmccain Forums Enthusiast

Jan 27, 2013
    London, Ohio
    Hi Jeff...welcome to the forum. Congratulations on your new furbaby!

10. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Your pup is going to be gorgeous!

Hi again -- I come from the area where there may be dragons.